Wood Lathe - King KWL-1016C - Opinions?

I was thinking about this lathe. Has anyone tried it and got a report on it they would share?

The King KWL-1016C

am anticipating doing small projects - bowls, turned jewel boxes, spindles and legs etc. I do not anticipate doing large projects.

Price is usually about $300 CDN - or $245 USD approx. They throw in a set of turning tools - not great ones but they work.

I know I can get the Jet mini lathe - but would only consider it if it is so much better that it's worth paying the extra for...

Reply to
Will

see. rec.turning

Reply to
Jay Pique

Duh! Thanks Jay.

Having a no-brainer day here I guess.

Reply to
Will

34 years and counting.....

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Actually, it's rec.crafts.woodturning

Reply to
Jeff P.

One specific comment - put the live and dead centers in place, and close line the two up - and MAKE SURE they line up - I've seen some that are out by 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch.

Finally, I say what I always say about King:

1) Don't count on getting much of a manual. They're often a bad photocopy of a bad photocopy. Very limited information wise. 2) Make sure your dealer will immediately replace any part that is not machined correctly - not an unusual thing for King. 3) Assuming none of he above is in effect, you might be getting a good tool at a very good bargin price.

Brian

Reply to
B Man