BS tension release knob

Anyone have an easier way to release the tension in a 14" Delta band saw without installing the (expensive) quick release lever? I was thinking about some kind of wheel w/handle to replace the plastic knob. Has anyone done this modification? If so, what diameter size crank wheel and how was it attached? I'd appreciate description, pics, or urls. TIA

Reply to
Phisherman

I made one that did not destroy the original knob. See @

I got tired of the ugliness of the kludge and bought a wheel kit for about $20 and installed it. Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

One thing I did was to take the plastic knob off the shaft and use the

14mm hex head underneath with a air powered ratchet wrench. Adjusts quickly and with no strain... My BS is a Grizzly so YMMV. TWS
Reply to
TWS

Quick Crank. It was about $25 from the manufacturer. Highland Hardware has them also, but the s & h was too high for just one item.

just tension the blade and keep the handle facing the front. At the end of the day, I just take it back 5 turns to de-tension. Re-tension just crank it the same five turns. Quick and easy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I got a piece of all-thread rod the same thread and put a crank on the top. The crank is a 4" piece of aluminum with a hole at each end, one end is on the rod with two nuts and the other has a knob attached. Four turns will do the trick to loosen or tighten.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

I took a 1/8" X 3/4" X 4" piece of aluminum. Attached it to the knob of the adjuster. My knob was metal so I was able to drill and tap one hole. The knob is not round, it has three spokes. I put a screw into one of the spokes and one screw drilled and tapped into the aluminum bar and going between the other two spokes. I did this because there was not enough room to put two screws into the knob. I then made a knob to attatch to the aluminum bar so I can crank it. BTW my bandsaw is a Delta 14"

Ted

Reply to
Bigpole

I posted this yesterday....

is not cheap nor is it a light weight piece of junk.

Consider buying the spring also:

you compare this spring to the Delta, you get a nice laugh...

Phisherman wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Reply to
Phisherman

I have a Delta 14" couple years old.

I made a wooden handle to go over the orig>Anyone have an easier way to release the tension in a 14" Delta band

Reply to
John Cole

FreePicHosting.com Error Message: Sorry, that image could not be found, path=

Doug Miller

Sorry about that,

Freepichosting decided to become NOT free pic hosting

try these links:

John Cole

Reply to
Phisherman

That was the old Gar...Shop.

All the scraps had to go before we moved - wife couldn't understand why we would pay to move small bits of wood.

John................building up his supply of scraps again.

Reply to
John Cole