What does this mean about bandsaws?

I was just looking for a replacment blade for my little, cheap, but very useful band saw, and I came up with this. I only want to know what means resaw capacity, as in "DELTA® 18" STEEL FRAME BANDSAW OFFERS 12" RESAW CAPACITY"

And one more question below, starting with -- .

Machinery - Band Saws DELTA® 18" STEEL FRAME BANDSAW OFFERS 12" RESAW CAPACITY

2hp 18" Steel Frame Bandsaw ...plus other(s) The DELTA® Industrial Model 28-682 18" Bandsaw has plenty of power for even the toughest cutting operations:

# 2HP, 230V, 1PH motor with magnetic starter - 2,300/3,250 SFPM. # 18" cast iron wheels with polyurethane compound tires. # 17-3/4" x 18" cast iron table with expandable table extensions - table tilts 8° left, 49° right with secure 3-point locking. # 17-1/2" blade to frame - 18" maximum rip right of blade with rip fence, 8-1/2" left.

-- Also, if it is an 18" band saw, why is ther ea limit of 8 1/2 inches left of the blade?

# 136" standard blade length, 1-1/4" maximum width. # Quick tension release lever for quick blade changes. # Includes rip fence with guide bar, dual 4" dust ports, wheel brushes, adjustable blade guide bearings, wrenches and instruction manual. # 80"H x 45"W x 30"D overall. # Weighs 397 lbs. # Two-year manufacturer's warranty. # Imported.

Reply to
mm

Means that a 2 x 12 can be sliced into two 1 x 12s.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Maximu blade height opening Re-sawing a board is the term used to make a thin board from a thick one. You stand the board on edge and slice off the desired thickness. Usefull for making veneers, or for when you need a 1/4" or 1/2" board . Most 14' saws have a 6" height unless they have a riser block to add another 6". While yo can plane a board to thickness, all you make is chips. This way you just keep making slices and then smooth it in the planer.

Note that is says "with rip fence". With no rip fence, the opening is wider. The table does not extend all the way to the frame and it wold not support the rip fence any more than the 8 1/2" from the blade. There are supports to the right of the blade for the additional support to get the

18".
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Resaw capacity is the max width of a board that can be sliced in half. A 12" resaw capacity means that there is at least 12" of blade exposed above the table.

The distance between the supporting arm and blade is another capacity. The largest square you can cut in two equal halves is a 19" square. Or, the most you can rip off one side of a piece of stock is 8-1/2".

Be careful about bandsaw quality--tuneups can be a royal bitch.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:16:40 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, mm quickly quoth:

Resaw capacity is the vertical cutting height it can handle. You could rip stock off a 12x12" beam with it.

With a 17-1/2" blade-to-frame dimension, you cannot rip 18", period. It could handle 17-3/8", though. Their measurements make no sense.

You might be better off Grizzly instead, and you'd save money.

I have their G1012 (discontinued 18" model) and love it.

------------------------------------------------------------------ Vote early, Vote often, Vote for Chad!

Comprehensive Website & Database Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not at first glace, but they do when you look at the saw.

fence is not supported on the left beyond the table from what I can see, but rails extend on the right side. The extended rails look like a constant source of pain when you bump into them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks to all. I never would have figured that out.

And I didn't notice the mention of the rip fence.

I'm not buying a new saw, just a blade or two. Coincidentally, I broke the old blade trying to split something wide. :) But I learned the appropriate lesson.

Reply to
mm

I've learned over the years to respect the bandsaw rails. For those not so fortunate, slit two tennis balls and push them onto the ends.

Reply to
Phisherman
1-800-234-SAWS is Suffolk Machinery, maker of Timberwolf blades. Tell them the length of blade needed and what you want to do and they'll suggest a blade. Their web site has a LOT of info.

Reply to
nospambob