Wood glue and laminate

Any reason one should/must use contact glue to place laminate on plywood top. No water involved. Parts could slip out of position while clamping. No matter in this case. What am I missing?

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Rick Samuel wrote: > Any reason one should/must use contact glue to place laminate on plywood > top. No water involved. Parts could slip out of position while clamping. > No matter in this case. What am I missing?

Laminate a couple of dozen 4x8 sheets and you will answer your own question.

On second thought, one or two might do it.

Just make sure you have lots of dowel rods and a "J" roller.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Any reason to not use it? If you want it to stay, use contact cement.

Reply to
Leon

Many glues do not stick well to laminate. If it is a water based glue, the laminate will not absorb any of the moisture. Must be a reason that contact has been used for many years. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'd say it probably has something to with the instant bond when two surfaces with tacky contact cement come together. You can get in right away and roll the laminate flat without wondering when it will set.

todd

Reply to
todd