Wood for toys

Hi everyone,

I'd like to make some wooden toys for my kids, but I'm not really sure what the best wood to use is, could you guys advise? I obviously want to use a wood that won't splinter and which is quite hardwearing. What would you suggest?

I haven't done any woodwork for years (since school), but would really like to make a couple of things for the kids.

Thanks, Stuart

wilsos6

Lime if you have it, otherwise beech. Both are easy to work and non- splintery. Lime is appreciably lighter.

Avoid softwood. Mainly because this will force you to go to a half- decent timberyard instead of a DIY shed. There will be better quality, for lower cost. If you _must_ use softwoods, try to get as close to a timberyard as possible (builders' merchant is poor, B&Q is dreadful, Focus impossible). Then choose the "red deal" crapwood over the "white deal" crapwood.

If you're building climbing frames etc. outdoors, go for larch.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Maple works for me.

Common. very hard and tightly grained.

-Steve

Reply to
StephenM

Most any hardwoods would work. Cherry, maple, oak are very common with shellac finish. Poplar is an excellent choice if you plan to paint.

Reply to
Phisherman

I was going to recommend poplar too. It's cheap, easy to work, and not splintery.

Reply to
Eigenvector

OP is in the UK

Reply to