Wood for food use

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:51:02 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy Dingley quickly quoth:

No? Then why was her book so quickly successful?

Have you read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear"? His advocate discussed a few of her worst mistakes.

shows that she, herself, didn't want a ban on pesticides, just more controlled usage. But she had created a monster.

has some good stats on countries outside Africa and the southeast tip of USA. A quote from that, regarding your killing statement:

"On June 14, 1972, 30 years ago this week, the EPA banned DDT despite considerable evidence of its safety offered in seven months of agency hearings. After listening to that testimony, the EPA?s own administrative law judge declared, "DDT is not a carcinogenic hazard to man...DDT is not a mutagenic or teratogenic hazard to man...The use of DDT under the regulations involved here [does] not have a deleterious effect on freshwater fish, estuarine organisms, wild birds or other wildlife." Today environmental activists celebrate the EPA?s DDT ban as their first great victory."

What and where is it killing, Andy? Cites? DDT's inventor got a Nobel Peace Prize for it.

We'd probably have killed the spread of West Nile virus if DDT were still around. DDT doesn't have to be spread by the kiloton (as it was in the 50s and 60s) to be effective.

Against Base regulations and my parents' wishes, I ran behind the fogger truck every season for 9 years, along with all the other kids, sucking up DDT fumes by the truckload. AFAIK, I didn't suffer from it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ah, that explains it :-)

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

As the simplest and most obvious local examples, the three top level avian predators in England, Scotland and Wales (Golden Eagles, Ospreys, Red Kites) were driven almost to extinction by it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You mean because of thin shells? Nope.

And

Eggshells in the UK started thinning 47 years before DDT.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:26:52 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy Dingley quickly quoth:

Cites? Proper use or haphazard overuse? IIRC, they proved that things other than DDT caused peregrine falcon egg thinning.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If I'd meant thin shells, I'd have said so. This was never thought a problem for the UK raptors - they nest differently to the US species where broken eggs would be a likely result of fragile shells. I'm thinking more of liver and kidney damage in predators. And before you quote the old US studies that found no evidence for this, _mice_ aren't predators. You need to look at species that are eating fatty DDT consumers, not DDT consumers themselves.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Don't have the cite handy, but there is significant evidence that a very large number of deaths in Africa due to malaria could have been prevented had DDT been allowed to be used.

That 12'th toe don't mean nothin' :-)

Mark & Juanita

You referred to birds. The reasonable assuption, given the hysteria from the anti-DDT crew, is that thin shells is what you meant as that is what is screamed about regularly, even though it's at best questionable.

Recent studies SINCE the 50s and 60s have pretty much discredited the research that inspired the ban on DDT and there is something of a movement to bring it back as a mechanisi to help fight mosquito-borne disease (which are certainly not that big a concern in the UK, but it is in Canada.)

I'm open to evidence, Andy. Please post the cites that support your assertions. I promise I'm not being combatitive and am sincerely interested in real studies.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:33:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark & Juanita quickly quoth:

John's cite had 2.7 million per year for countries who also abandoned its use. I guess that's one way to do population control, huh?

I'm quintradextrous. Could it be my prehensile fore-appendage that makes you uneasy?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, it's also used to make wooden Peels, the paddles they use to move pizza around in the oven. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs