Watching the workers...

They've been building a sort of gazebo or summer house in a garden this window overlooks. Not a ready made one but custom built. It's quite large

- an octagon about 3 metres across with the three sides facing their garden, glazed doors. Been under construction now for over 4 months - with one or two working on it most days. And for the past three weeks, a painter. From 8 to 5, five days a week. Most could have done an entire house in this time...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If he has to stop each time it rains, he probably hasn't managed to paint even one facia board in the past 3 weeks...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Council trained workers?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dave Plowman (News) wibbled on Friday 04 December 2009 15:40

Are they "pros" - 'cos that's slower than me, and that's saying something!

Reply to
Tim W

:-)

Our neighbour built one for his son (they had their wedding in his back garden) - took him a couple of weeks*, but that was with just an hour here and there around his normal job. It's a real work of art, though; all natural woods with different species for different parts, and all pegged together - not a nail in sight. Don't see that kind of quality, (particularly not pegged stuff) very often.

  • although I've never asked him how long the planning phase took :-)
Reply to
Jules

"Tradesmen" have building a house next door to me for five years and there's no sign of when it will be finished. The waste is enormous. They break huge mirrors by drilling holes in them and throw them away. Several skips full of marble tiles have been thrown away.

Reply to
Matty F

I bet you've got a lovely bathroom though :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain saying something like:

With crazy paving on the walls.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Kitchen actually, although some people are horrified with gold tiles:

smashing off expensive marble tiles because somebody put them on straight and they were supposed to be put on crooked:

Matty F

Now they could be nice on a conservatory floor.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F saying something like:

mean you _have_ to use them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I thought I would put them in the kitchen behind the stove. I have saved only the gold ones. They should be easier to clean than my existing painted wall, and be more fireproof. Have you noticed that once globules of fat start to grow on the wall, they attract more fat? Then I need a spade to get them off!

Yes. The house is expected to sell for $5 million, when it's finished. If ever.

Reply to
Matty F

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F saying something like:

For a build cost of 6 million, that's a bargain.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon