Wood Banister HELP!

Hello all. The subcontractor was a bit sloopy on his craftsmanship when finishing off these banisters. Can you please advise on the best way to clean these up. The color is one issue, but they didnt do a good job on the clean up before these set.

oni.tate

You shouldn't have to fix that, the finisher should. That's truly awful work!

Didn't you see it during the preclosing or job signoff walk-through?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Somebody screwed up. That is wood putty filler and there is just no way you should have holes that big being filled with putty. It is for small nail holes or very minoir imperfections.

In the first place I can't understand what they had holes that size in tge first place. In the second place, holes that size should be plugged with matching wood, grain running in the same direction and same colr and nearly un-noticable. This is really hidious.

You can pa> Hello all. =A0The subcontractor was a bit sloopy on his craftsmanship

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

That is some of the sloppiest work I have ever seen. I don't know why those aren't plugged, but I agree with the other posters that the putty is unacceptable.

Compla> Hello all. The subcontractor was a bit sloopy on his craftsmanship

Reply to
tiredofspam

I worked for a builder and I would demand the trim carpenter to explain how that happened. Looks like the builder doesn't care about guilty ,just quantity. If you live on a job site and they still have a model home on site I would take pics of how IT was done there and demand the same workmanship.If they don't fix it I would put up a big sign~THIS BUILDER DOESN'T GIVE A DAM !! Contact the owner or president of the company that might help. Good luck !!

Jerry

Jerry - OHIO

And people wonder why so much is made over seas,,,,,We have become a country of who gives a crap workers ( not craftsmen) and anything goes as long as money is to be made. Too bad you couldn't have brought in some Chinese to show how it's done right for .25 per hour. I'd post a picture of there work in your local paper or call your local TV station. Most TV have customer help when it comes to this pathetic type of work.

Reply to
Lee

If the builder or sub have not been paid yet, don't pay them until the issue is resolved. If you hired the sub and have already paid them, obviously they don't care, and getting satisfaction may be difficult. Just keep raising hell until something is done.

Are you in a metropolitan area where inspections are required? If so, read on. If not, the following will not help.

The inspector is not going to care about finish but if there are certain code requirements not met with either baluster position or height, or framing issues, he may require the stairs to be corrected. If that's the case they may end up replacing stair parts anyway. Most municipalities use the International Residential Code for stairs. You can find the visual interpretations here...

attention to guard rail height, grab rail height and length (where it starts and stops), baluster spacing, and framing issues regarding the pie shaped landings.

I'm not saying the stairs will kill you or that you might not be perfectly happy with them (except for the cosmetic problems) but if the inspector requires any changes, it might give you one more bargaining tool.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.