banister spanner?

Hi

old banister has small cut-outs near to each joint with a nut & bolt which need tightening up. the nut feels like it has a small notch in it which with the right type of spanner could be tighten. banister is around 100 years old and in good health apart from a couple of joints.

any input welcomed.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

A couple of pictures, or even a better description, would help lots on this Mark. For something as old as this to be touched with anything without knowing exactly what needs to be touched, is asking for loads of trouble.

Something in the line of what shape the nuts are, and where the slot is in the nut. More on how the nut and rail go together on the banister etc.

Reply to
BigWallop

Mark,

You are describing a standard handrail bolt. Prior to assembly, each end of each joints has a hole drilled into the end grain. Adjacent to the end of each joint (underside of your banister) will be a further hole (usually square) that meets the previous hole.

Logic of construction: A metal threaded dowel is inserted into one end of a banister rail. Through the square hole, a notched (round) nut is threaded onto the dowel. (you may find one of the nuts to be a standard square nut which is a tight fit into the square hole which prevents its movement) - the threaded dowel being threaded into it. The second banister rail is inserted onto the previous metal dowel, and again, a notched nut is threaded onto the dowel through the square hole. The notched nuts are then tightened (usually by the end of screwdriver levered against the sides of the square hole) until joint is tight. I have never used any special tool for doing this, other than a screwdriver.

I assume in your case that the timber has slightly dried out and the handrail bolt just need nipping up a bit tighter.You should be able to manage this comfortably yourself

If you need further clarification I could send you a sketch under private email.

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Sharrocks

Hi Tom

That's exactly what its like. I'll try the screwdriver trick and see how i get on. the square holes are quite small but i can feel the nut, its just the banister does a tight u turn on a rise so not much room to work.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith