Banister loose

Hello, I am buying a new house and the banister is loose at the bottom of the stairs. I was told the is a dow pin underneath the stairs & maybe I could jack it up to get to it. The house is on a slab so I can't get under it. What's the best way to fix this right? I want it as strong as possible. Thanks, Patrick W.

Reply to
Pat and Cindy

The seller of the house should be responsible to have this fixed. Make the sale contingent on its being fixed satisfactorily. There is no way to remotely diagnose a fix for this as it is potentially a safety issue and should be fixed by an experienced craftsman. My guess is that it won't be trivial and will require careful disassembly to get at the problem and to implement a sound fix (read expensive).

If the seller agrees make sure you test it--don't take a verbal assurance that it is fixed. It should be able to take a side load of 20 lbs x the length of the rail at a minimum (similar to an adult leaning against it with full body weight) without signicant movment or any indication that it is giving way. Unfortunately many railings are installed as if they are architectural features and not safety devices.

Regards,

John

Reply to
JTM

Reply to
sligo

probably drill into banister at an angle on several sides make a countersink hole , use long screws into stairs or floor ,maye its also loose enough to get glue under, patch holes and paint. this can be done for small spindals also

Reply to
mark Ransley

Yeah, that should do it.

Reply to
CBHvac

----------------------------------------------- pour concrete? that would surely rot out the bottom of the post making it worse than it is now. stick to HVAC

solution: urethane glue and a couple of countersunk lags (with plugs) .

Carpenter Ant

Take a look at the moron that tried to forge my headers...and you will find its not me...

But since now hes playing with a biz addy, the fun starts.

Reply to
CBHvac

That is a perfect description of a webtv subscriber's brain surgery.

Reply to
Mr Teriffic

Hello, I'm buying a house and the banister is loose at the bottom of the stairs. The house is about 6 yrs old. I was told there is a Dow pin underneath the stairs & maybe I could jack it up to get to it. I was also told to get in to it under the stairs. The house is on a slab so I would have to cut a hole in storage closet to get in there. It being at the bottom of the stairs, I don't know how much room I would have even if I could get to it. I need this fixed as strong as possible for safety reasons. Can anyone tell me the best way to fix this? Thanks,

Patrick W.

Reply to
Pat and Cindy