Fitting New Banister Rail Between Existing Newel Posts

I'm removing an existing stair banister rail and associated paneling underneath it, to replace it with a new banister and spindles. However I want to retain (and not remove if possible) the existing newel posts. Obviously(?) this precludes mortising the new rail into the posts.

What's the best way of joining the new rail to the old posts?

David.

Reply to
DavidM

About to do the same myself. Most obvious way is to go through the post from the far side into the bannister rail and plug the hole. Perhaps someone can help us both out with alternative ideas.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Secret screw from under the rail (will be covered by the rebate capping). Or, there will be enough 'give' to accomodate a 1" tenon (even with a

4" newel post) - mine did.

Phil.

Reply to
Phil

I would use the fixings from the Richard Burbage range. You'll need to prepare appropriate holes in the Newels and will have a small hole cover on the opposite side to the rail.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Richard Burbage stuff appears in the Homebase stairparts leaflet.

I was hoping to retain my handrail as well as the the posts but it has nails through it that fitted into the 1960s plank below it.

Unfortunately 1960s planks were also well jointed into the posts. Post near the bottom of the stairs is on a right angle bend and the one at the top is 1 and a half posts joined together to hold the stair bannister and planks and the landing bannister and planks which are a

180 degree turn from the stairs.

I don't fancy replacing the whole posts nor especially filling all the holes. Not sure about cutting and joining new newels on top. Needs to be strong enough for me to swing around the 90 degrees at the bottom.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Invisible Man

Had this work done by a local builder about 3 months ago. I didn't watch carefully but AFAICT he morticed into the top newel post. He the made sure that thebannister length was correct and then fitted the bannister into the top post and then from below into the bottom post, 'adjusting' the tenon so that it could be forced in. It cannot be lifted out and the spindled prevent itfrom being forced down

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm