Which WWII?

I have a shiny new Crapsman contractor's saw with what I guess is a 1.5 HP motor. I've spent a great deal of time tweaking it, and it's lined up beautifully.

I can't afford one yet, but it's time to start thinking about a WWII. I'm lazy, so this will be the blade I leave on the saw 99% of the time. It's hard to say whether I do more ripping or crosscutting. I do a lot of both, and am looking for the best compromise between smooth crosscuts and fast-as-possible glue line rips.

I've decided on a full sized kerf, but I'm debating teeth. My regular user blade has been a 50T Freud TK960, which I've been happy with for some time. I just put that blade on my new saw, after having been using the new saw with its stock 24T blade for awhile, and I realized that ripping with a 50T blade pretty much sucks.

Forrest's site says "* Use 30T version if ripping mostly 2" - 3" Thick hardwoods."

Well, I won't be. The local lumber yard only stocks 4/4, so that's what I use. I might have some reason to get something thicker some day, but it's not going to be a standard practice. I expect to cut mostly 4/4, and the occasional tuba stock. OTOH, I have a comparatively wimpy motor.

So whaddaya think? 40T or 30T?

Reply to
Silvan
40T WWII does all I need it to do, and is all I use.
Reply to
Swingman

Absolutely the 40 tooth WWII for a majority of cutting under 2" thick. You can absolutely cut thicker than 2" with that blade also but at a slower pace. I resaw 3" wide boards quite often with the 40 tooth WWII although on a cabinet saw. The WWII does a superb job of crosscutting and ripping.

Reply to
Leon

If money is tight then spend it on something more useful. I'm on my second WWII (first one was a real dud). It's a nice blade, but not significantly better than a $40 Freud combination blade. You'd be better served spending the difference on lumber and building something.

Reply to
Scott Post

Then you've picked the right blade. Almost.

IMO you're probably better off with the thin-kerf version, given the saw you have. You don't exactly have a surplus of horsepower. Not a shortage either, mind you, but it's light enough that the thin-kerf blade, with a stabilizer, will probably give you better performance.

  1. I cut mostly 4/4, but some 6/4 and 8/4, and a 40T WWII works just fine for me. If the majority of what I worked with was 8/4 then I'd go with 30T, but for occasional cuts in heavy stock the 40T is fine.

Doug Miller

40T for sure. The WWII is a great blade. That said, there are other very good blades at about the same or lower price.

I got a deal at the Springfield show. Ridge Carbide Tool had a special on their 40T combo and 8" dado blade. I got both for about $220. The dado is impressive with flat bottom cuts. The TS2000 cut everything I have thrown at it including some thick oak. Only time I take it out now is for plywood. The 80 tooth Freud does a better job on plywood.

As for the original Delta blade that came with the saw, I use it for rough cutting only. Compared to the Ridge or a WWII, it sucks. For ripping down some framing lumber, it is OK. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Get the 40t unless you are going to be doing a LOT of ripping of THICK stuff

John

Reply to
John Crea

40T for all around work.