Which wood to use?

I'm going to build a garden planter stand to hold dirt, trowels, etc.. It will be outside year round. Also, want to build a couple of " Jake " chairs. What would be the best wood to use for both? The chairs will be covered in the winter with a tarp but not the stand.

Reply to
Jimmy

I'm not a woodworker per se, but I grew up in a family where such projects were common. I very much like red cedar for such stuff; raw, unplaned (but treated) cedar for the planter, and properly finished and treated for the chairs.

Not sure about warpage, if it's all properly treated.

Reply to
BD

Redwood would be my choice for the planters. I made up some some years ago, big enough to hold those plastic inserts you get at the garden store. Make sure to have drainage holes -- 1/2", at least.

I'd use redwood or cedar for the chair.

Reply to
professorpaul

I used Clear Douglas fir and it lasted 16 years. I recently replaced these outdoor planters with ones made from cyprus. Should last a very long time, they used to make water towers out of it. And, it's not very expensive at all.

Reply to
Dennis Johnson

Teak Ipe Redwood Cedar Cyrpress Spanish Cedar White Oak

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Jimmy