old double rocking chair

here is a question

First I'm in Denver, a dry climate especially this summer

We have a double rocking chair made I think of ash that has been sitting outside on the back patio. Each year I've given it a light sanding and another coat of poly. Dispite my efforts parts of the wood have turned black because water has gotten in.

An accedent split one of the arm rests this spring. I've taken the arm rest and repaired it with urethane glue but I've decided that I need to refinish the chair. The original finish was boiled linseed oil with poly on top after it dried because that is what recommended by the unfinished furniture place where we purchased it.

I'm in the process of taking the chair apart piece by piece and removing the 8 coats of poly (one for each year). My benchtop belt sander is really handy for removing the poly and the black stain. Now I'm wondering how I should finish it. Should I go with the original boiled linseed and poly or use something else.

Reply to
william kossack