How to protect a wood trailer floor

I have a trailer I bought new a couple years ago. It has 2 X 6 floor boards. I want to protect these so they will last as long as possible.

Last year I used Thompson's Water sealer (Since then I have been told this is about the poorest brand but got no suggestions on the best brand). The wood soaked up the sealer pretty fast. I ended up putting four coats on over the course of a week. This year, the wood looks as dry as before.

The trailer sits outside all the time. The two paint stores I asked for suggestions just suggested water sealant, which didn't do much for me.

Is there some product such as an oil, wax, or whatever that would be good in this application?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

A tarp OVER the trailer would be a big help...

Reply to
HeyBub

thompsons works great, recoat every couple years for best protection and dont forget to coat the underside.

I echo the tarp, rain AND SUN attack wood, tarp will protect from both, leave space so airflow occurs otherwise wood will saturate.

Reply to
hallerb

Bob,

I second Joe's suggestion but think boat paint is overkill. Prime and paint with some exterior paint.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

I like overkill, especially when it involves someone else's money. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The whole point of using 2 X 6 trailer decking is for ease of replacement when a board gets damaged as equipment trailer decks tend to get damaged by causes other than water / rot rather frequently.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

NEVER PUT OIL ON ANY FLOORING. Makes it slick and almost unusable.

I'd get something like that and follow the instructions of the product.

Reply to
deke

I would not lose sleep over these boards. Replacing them is not too expensive. Go to home depot and ask if they have some "oops" deck sealant and use it.

Ignoramus322

what would using that trex decking stuff do? if there is enough support underneath.

Reply to
readandpostrosie

There is certainly nothing wrong with Thompsons. But it doesn't last forever in the sun. Twice a year with a garden sprayer should keep the wood lasting a long time.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Add expense.

-- Oren

Oren

NEVER PUT OIL ON ANY FLOORING. Makes it slick and almost unusable.

I'd get something like that and follow the instructions of the product.

Reply to
Bob

That sounds like a good suggestion to check out. Thanks

Reply to
Bob

Diesel and hydraulic fluid really help preserve the wood, but you might not like the initial smell, once soaked into the boards it is not slippery. Look at any backhoe or equipment trailer for well preserved wood where the fluids drip. Cut boiled linseed oil

50-50 with paint thinner and swab generously over several days would be a more citified method.
Reply to
DanG