Excessive Frame Gap.

Hi Not sure if this is the right group to post to. (I'm new to this) We are currently having our old aluminium windows replaced with upvc. The fitter put in the first of the two bay windows yesterday but I noticed the gap between the top of the frame and the bottom of the openning looked very wide (25mm) I spoke to the company and they said it was fine and why were filling it with foam. I understand there needs to be a gap to allow for expansion but this seems excesive. They keep insisting that there is nothing wrong with the frame but I am not convinced. Does this gap seem unreasonable to anyone? Should I insist they put one in of a better fit? This is costing us a lot of money and I want it right, but I don't know enough about it?

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
simon_gilmour

If you check the installation instructions on any commercial window, you will find the rough in dimension is 1/4" larger than the window size. That equates to 3.18 mm per side. Certainly there can be variations in very large assemblies, but in your case someone likely mismeasured. The proper fix may be to remove the window and build up the rough opening to permit the nailing flanges more support. Ask to see the manufacturer's instruction sheet and don't let anyone BS you about 'it's good enough'. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe