Where to turn from Amazon

hee hee. I'll be your Huckleberry.

dave

Reply to
David

Ray - I applaud you for your sticking to your convictions. I too do not patronize companies that violate my personal ethics or that support people or organizations I don't care for.

I know that it may cost me a little more money but its my choice and a choice freely made. A choice given to me by others that sacrificed a great deal so to provide me with this opportunity. A woodworking forum is not the place for me to express which companies/people/organizations I won't shop with - (other than Harbor Fright).

As for finding tools online, I frequently use Amazon to find the tool and price, then contact the store/vendor directly for the purchase. Usually at a better price.

The approved list is short: Lee Valley, Costal Tool, Woodworkers Supply, Rockler and Woodcraft. There are many others but they are more specialized.

I don't like Bill Maher or George Carlin either. After all they cater to the simplest of minds, ones easily amused.

Dave

Teamcasa

I have only seen BM a few times and thought he was funny and his politics were similar to mine.I can understand someone not liking his humor or politics, but I cant understand why someone would boycott Amazon which I also personally like. Amazon promotes books and music from people that I like and dislike who cares.If they promote our war president who I disagree with and think he is not very Presidential who cares. The fact that Amazon Fishbowl with Bill Maher,is by presented by UPS and Cingular, should I boycott my Cell carrier and UPS my life blood in business.Of course not. Amazon is a business making a buck from this stuff in a country of free speech. I am curious to any one that boycotts Amazon because of BM politics, do you boycott things like clothing made with child labor, tools from countries that allow child prostitution, oil from countries that you may disagree with, etc,etc. Happy woodwoking.

Reply to
henry

[...]

Try Tools Plus, in Connecticut- pretty good prices, ,like Coastal Tools and good people

facedocb

Not BM politics as much as them shoving his politics in my face when I go to shop. It wasn't a book he wrote but an internet show with the usual BM content right on the front page. Maybe the items I bought there in the past flagged me as somebody who would be interested in watching it. Somehow I doubt it since the last book I read was either first blood (much better than the movie) or It.

Nope, almost everything I wear is cotton (very sensitive skin) that is 'picked' by children working on family farms in this country or India or wherever else cotton grows.

Depends on what you mean by allow, last I heard there is child prostitution in this country and I would buy a US made tool.

have no idea where the gas I put in my truck comes from, if I knew for sure the country it came from and I could be selective I certainly wouldn't support the House of 'Fraud'.

Everybody has their own idea of good companies and bad companies, there are people who don't buy Coors' because of the Coors family. I buy it because I don't like beer and Coors' Light is the closest thing you can get to water in a beer. Some people don't shop at Wal Mart because of the Waltons, I don't shop there because most of the stuff is crap and the stuff that isn't is the same price at every other store.

Thanks, weather is supposed to be nice this weekend for a change so I won't be sweating by 8:00.

Reply to
RayV

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
John Partridge

Actually, that quote is attributed to Howard Zinn.

todd

Reply to
todd

This is what you got? "I've no need to heal anything except my choice of who to respond to." Prolly should have kept that one to yourself.

I didn't hear any whining about Amazon at all in the original post. The OP voiced a complaint and asked for alternatives. It's fashionable these days to call any complaint a whine, but most of the time that's just name-calling.

So now you've called the OP both childish and a whiner. I think if I were him, I'd call you a dick.

Reply to
builderstan

Personally, there were times that I liked BM, others that I thought he was over the line...

In reflection, what would you EXPECT from a show called "politically Incorrect? Mac

mac davis

Not exactly.

He said something that wasn't very offensive, but that didn't stop people from taking umbrage.

His show was canceled because it had never finished any better than second in the ratings in its timeslot in any market, and the network wanted to replace it with something that would do better against _Nightline_. I don't know what they replaced it with, probably because whatever it was wasn't worth watching at all. Of course since then ABC has watered down _NIghtline_ so that it is seldom worth watching either.

Reply to
fredfighter

Politics aside, I find that there are precious few places that aren't just front ends for Amazon. There used to be many sources of tools online, but now you go to actually buy something and voila! you are once again at Amazon. We're talkin' Wally World here for stomping down the small vendor and removing competition. Sorta like Starbuck's in some towns.

Long Live Lee Valley!

Reply to
bsa441