What stain to use?

Last year my daughter moved to Phoenix and we purchased a used table and chair set. When the dealer delivered the table, he used a stain? oil? finish on minor dings on the chair legs and covered the dings by blending them in with the good finish.It blended together very welll. Last week I was moving my father-in-laws hope chest and set the chest on it's side. We tipped it over and broke one of the legs. The chest is about 60 or 70 years old. I used Gorilla glue and got it glued back together again. I trimmed and sanded the glue off of the leg and now need to refinish the leg. I would like your ideas on what to use to refinish the leg so the glue joints are a reasonable match with the rest of the leg. I was hoping you might have an idea of what the furniture dealer used to cover up the dings on the chairs.

Thanks

Reply to
goodfella

"goodfella" wrote

Why don't you give him a call and ask him. You can always say that you dinged up the chairs and need to do some more repairs.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

No clue what the dealer used, but I've had good luck just using an oil stain close in color. From a few feet away, small dings are invisible.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I found out it was Howards Oil. I went ahead and used stain I found at Menards for a quarter a packet. 4 were just enough to cover it.

Thanks for the input

Reply to
goodfella