what's the best looking piece of art made of wood that you have ever seen?

Wood is widely used in making furnitures, wall units, and shelves...etc., just like glass, metal and other 'modern looking' mateiral, wood is also used to create "ART". What is the best looking piece of art made of wood that you have ever seen? And what kind of wood is it??

Reply to
aponpon

whate ever my customer has just walked off with leaving money behind.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Back in 1980 I saw a large wooden "Swiss Army knife" in Evansville, IN.

It was about 4 feet long in the handle and made of a variety of woods. The smooth lines, perfect edges, and subtly contrasting colors and textures have always stuck in my mind.

I'd like to know where that piece ended up...

Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

That knife is in a storefront on the Mag mile in downtown Chicago.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I would have to say some of the boxes on this page... Someday, I hope to be able to do something similar.

have also seen some amazing bowls, not so much the shape but the beauty of the wood is what made them amazing. Generally what WOWs me, is craftsmanship. Attention to detail and form.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

They are extraordinary examples of skill, but I just find them attractive. Art, and beauty, is rather different than simple craftsmanship; no matter how great it is.

Reply to
Toller

Oops... That should be "I just don't find them attractive". Which is another reason I would never attempt anything like them; one goof...

Reply to
Toller

with ebony plugs.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

check out the black ash burl vase on this site

I supplied the burl. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

Which storefront? I'd like to see that.

-MJ

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Really?

COOL!

Where is it? Please? :-)

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

If you do, take some pictures, willya?