Camera Lens Was Made Out of Wood

Very nice

Gray_Wolf

Lens holder was made of wood. Though there would/may be small wood movement (expansion & contraction.... ? specific for palm wood?), I would think lens' alignment would not, may not remain stable/accurate, as climate conditions change.

Neat project, though, if for nothing else but can-do the task.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Pretty cool!

Reply to
Leon

As someone who uses an all wooden field camera of this same general type, I gotta tell you, it's the glass that's doing all the work :)

My camera was handmade out of QS Honduran Mahogany by the now-defunct Wisner camera company. It's a work of art and has given me almost 2 decades of joy to use:

Tim Daneliuk

The lens itself was glass, the barrel was wood. Looked like horse apple.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I was a little disappointed. Used glass lens with various aperture shims.

Had it been a pinhole camera I would have been satisfied with the "lens made out of wood" as it is the lens was glass, not resins from woods, or even sap.

Now the mind wanders....rose colored resin, quick frozen in a mold, final shaping and then the timed photo. Might even be a safe war to create a retina?

Shellac a "byproduct" of wood could make a lens.

Nice looking wood work though.

Reply to
OFW

I love photography and years ago took way too many pics. Not sure I would use something like that. Still nifty to see. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Casper

When I was in college, I burned through 20 rolls of Tri-X a week. I'd like to use one. They're great for architecture photography. It's become another hobby I don't have time for, though.

Reply to
krw

That is very nice. More involved in actual function: I have an ancient(1880's ?) 5x7 plate camera that was my great-grandfather's. In that the main spring driving the shutter blades is wood! A thin piece, looks hand carved, that gets bent when you c*ck the shutter, springs back when you fire it. I've never timed it (for one thing I just don't like to exercise it too much, it seems pretty delicate to me) but just imagine having to take humidity into account when "guessing" what the shutter speed will be! Bob Wilson

Reply to
Robert Wilson

I've got a Zeroimage

which is a beautiful wooden box, but the lens is 100% brass[*]. The shutter is wood, however. I've also got an 1880s teak camera with a wooden shutter, but brass lens holders and glass lenses. The shutter on that one sits right in front of the plate holder and is a little larger than the plate.

This is a topic that the Homemade Lens group on flickr might be able to offer advice about.

Elijah

------ [*] will accept corrections to the effect that is is a hole in the brass

Reply to
Eli the Bearded