What length 7/16" staples for crate making

Once in a while I need to make crates.

I recently bought a Senco SNS41 stapler for 7/16" crown, 16 ga staples (new). I would like to know what staple leg length would be most suitable. My crates are mostly made from 1/2" plywood and 2x4s. I have a feeling that it would be 1.75", but I would like to ask for a "second opinion". Thanks

Ignoramus7897

"Ignoramus7897" wrote

If I were stapling 1/2" plywood to 2 x 4's I would use a minimum of 1", maybe 1 1/4" staples for good measure. Crown staples have good holding power, IME.

Just my tuppence .... YMMV

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, I love staples for their holding power. In the 18 gauge world, 1" or even 1.25" is not that much -- but maybe it is different with 16 gauge staples. I think that I will buy 1.5, 1.75, and 2" staples at McMaster and will try all of them.

Ignoramus14384

When we were framing, we were >required< use 2" staples to shoot down

1/2" plywood deck. Having pulled enough of that stuff up, the 2" staples hold well, and the shorter you get, you get much less holding power. Besides, the cost between sizes when you get the larger sizes is nominal.

This assumes that you are using a narrow crown stapler, not a wide crown (roofing).

I always use the old shopworn formula that I learned years ago, and that is to pick a length of fastener that is approximately 3 times longer than the thickness of material you are fastening. So in this case, the plywood would be 1/2" thick, times three, or 1 1/2". Add back in the original material, and you have a fastener length of 2".

Remember the coating isn't always some kind of cool adhesive (check the country of origin) that sets up with the heat of application, but anymore it seems to be just a binder for the staples unless it is the tiny 18 ga. guys.

I would get the longest staples I could, with divergent chisel points, and when assembling shoot the staples so the crown was perpindicular to the grain, not parallel. You could use shorter staples with glue, but why take the time?

As always, YMMV.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

The cost difference is nominal indeed. Since you seem to have some experience with this stuff, would you say that my Senco SNS41 should be able to properly nail the 2" staples into regular plywood and 2x4?

I seem to recall, perhaps incorrectly, that 2" staples were a little iffy and required "softwood only". Is the combo of plywood and regular

2x4s suitable for 2" staples?

My other thought is that a 1/2" nominal plywood with 2" nominal 2x4 really is at best, 2 inches thick together. So a 2" staple, conceivably, may come out with sharp ends on the other side, something best avoided.

So to me, a 1 3/4" staple would not compromise much on holding power, but would definitely not come "out of the other end" and would be a little less stressful on the stapler.

Yes, it is a regular 16 ga stapler for sheathing.

The whole point of crating is to make a crate in minimum time required, that would hold up. I agree totally.

Ignoramus14384

"Ignoramus14384" wrote

Depends ... you shipping gorillas, or chickens?

:)

Reply to
Swingman

mostly metalworking machines of smaller size.

Ignoramus6796