Re: Just bought a USED air compressor

No need to guess. 2.4 horsepower. In fact, you are better off knowing watts than horsepower. Most things these days are highly over rated as far as horsepower (3.25 horse routers, 6 horse shop vacs). Watts are more likely to be actual.

hi all, > > It says 1850watts , but owner doesnt know the horsepower. > > any guess? > > I will be using it mainly for a nail gun, should be enough? > > Whats the best nail gun I can buy for under $100? > > thanks a lot!!! > >
Reply to
CW

1 horse is around the 750W mark, roughly. So you have one very grunty machine there. The question is what sort of pump is on the rig. If it's matched, you're set for some big jobs.

LOL - piece of cake. My little toy sized 800 W Hindin has no problem driving a framing gun all day.

A second hand Senco, no question at all. Paslode runs a distant second. Not sure about some other, maybe US only, brands. Don't even think about that cheap crap that comes out of China at the moment. You would not enjoy the experience.

Welcome, -Pete

Reply to
Peter Huebner

thanks guys!!! been a great help.

Reply to
Antispammer

I have two air nailers made by Campbell Hausfeld. they have been going strong for almost a year now with heavy use building doghouses and finishing my garage as well as my craft projects. I have only had a few jams but they are easily removed, and I can't say whether it was the gun or me driving a brad or nail into another one. The only problem and this is not really a problem but I have a paslode too and that is so much lighter!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

746 watts per horsepower is the conversion. This won't be exact because of efficiency issues. Horsepower ratings of a motor reflect output power, wattage ratings generally refer to input power. At any rate it should be more than enough to run a nail gun.

You don't say what size nail gun you are looking for, but in the under $100 range, Harbor Freight is hard to beat.

Reply to
lwasserm

Any nailgun that can use 1 1/4" nail.

what about boschstich? or Dewalts?

Reply to
Antispammer

Finish nailer or brad nailer?

Reply to
Tim Taylor

I disagree with Pat as far as the Chinese nail guns are concerned. We have been using nail guns from Harbor Freight for two years now and believe they are an unbeatable value. The only failure we have had with one of their guns was due to operator error.

Yes your compressor will run most any nail gun.

Have fun,

Craig

cm

I have a personal prejudice FOR Sencos, but I don't agree that Paslodes are a *distant* second. I'd say they are right there with Sencos, as are Hitachis, and perhaps Bostiches. While it seems to be a regional thing as to which are preferred by the working pros, I think it's fair to say that a visit to a job site is more likely to yield one of those four brands than anything else by a wide margin.

Having said all that, it really applies primarily to framing nailers, which is only about a fourth or fifth of the nailer suite. In brad nailers, I think the Senco SLP20 is at the top of the heap.

In finish nailers, I prefer 15 ga (angled sticks) and the Senco SFN40 (I think it's the FinishPro now) is unparalleled. I don't know about

16 ga finishers (straight sticks). Bostich has always had a good 15 ga nailer, too.

Pin nailers have gotten popular recently and there are a number of offerings. I don't know that anyone has distinguished themselves in the field.

Staplers cover a broad range of possibilities from narrow crown to wide crown plus the small gauge upholstery type staplers. Porter-Cable's upholstery stapler seems popular (although I have a Senco).

The wide (anywhere from 3/8" up to ½") and narrow crown (1/4") staplers seem to share the same engine in many cases but availability of staples will probably be the biggest consideration. 1/4" are pretty well represented at the borg--you'll have to search some for wider crown or upholstery staples.

Reply to
LRod

Bostitch has a good reputation. I have a Bostitch wide crown stapler I bought used and the thing is a hoss. DeWalt, I guess is OK but personally I haven't heard much one way or the other about them. I think that Bostitch has a 18 ga 1 1/4 inch brad nailer in the $40

-$50 range. honestly, though, I have a 1 1/4" brad nailer from HF that had a sale price of $10 or $15 and it "just works" . As does the 2" 18 ga and the 1 1/2" narrow crown stapler from HF that I also have. None of these cost more than $20 or so sale price. Unless you are using these professionally everyday, I can't see paying more. It's not like the name brands are made in USA after all.

Reply to
lwasserm

In this country most people use Senco or Paslode. I'd say in fact the majority of builders these days use 'cordless' Paslode guns. I have used both Paslodes (compressor and cartridge) and my Senco ... the Paslodes are lighter, for sure. The Senco is the only one of the three that could reliably put 90mm nails into seasoned rimu framing all the way, with the Paslodes I had to drive the last

1/2" by hammer most of the time. That is where my "distant" rating comes from.

I will happily concede that probably few people will have to work with hardwood framing, but I know with absolute certainty which brand I prefer. For pine it probably won't make that much of a difference. But for sheer driving power ... the builder who recently helped me put new purlins on the roof of my shearing shed was pulling his hair out using his cartridge Paslode, my Senco was just chugging along. I also noted that he had a lot more jams - admittedly the paper on the collated nails was absolute crap.

I have that one. Sweet little gun. My wife loves it ;-)

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner