What is this kind of bolt called?

Reply to
Jim Northey

My guess is that they're pretty standard phillips head carriage bolts..

I recently bought a Ridgid TS and planer and both stands went together with them.. I think the band saw stand, also.. must be a pretty available bolt..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I ordered a cheap tool stand off ebay, and the inadequate packaging ripped apart and most of the hardware fell out. I contacted the seller about sending me replacements, but I have a feeling if I ever see any bolts from them it's going to be a while, not the greatest feedback on this seller but I figured what could go wrong? It's a bunch of steel. Oh well. So I figure I'll at least try to find replacements on my own as plan B. However I don't know what this type of bolt is called and can't see anything like it on mcmaster.

It's a round head phillips with a square under it, which locks into the squares punched in the stand parts. I've seen them on other stands, usually as a hex head with a flange and a square under that. A regular bolt would probably end up being fine, but as long as I have to get them anyway may as well try to find the right thing. I'd rather find a hex head equivalent anyway as that phillips isn't going to tighten very well.

And as a side note, apparently I am allergic to purpleheart.

Also the dog I am watching for the week managed to slip out of his collar while out for his walk.

It's been one of those days.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

| It's a round head phillips with a square under it, which locks into | the squares punched in the stand parts. I've seen them on other | stands, usually as a hex head with a flange and a square under that. | A regular bolt would probably end up being fine, but as long as I | have to get them anyway may as well try to find the right thing. | I'd rather find a hex head equivalent anyway as that phillips isn't | going to tighten very well.

Hmm. If there's a square under the head, the fit in the square hole isn't going to let you turn it anyway. Any tightening would probably need to be done from the nut end with a wrench.

For what it's worth, a couple of years ago I went around my shop pulling all of the rusty old nuts and bolts from my stands and replaced 'em all with stainless steel button-head cap screws, washers and nylok nuts. If I'd had any idea how nasty-looking they'd become, I'd have done that for the original assembly.

| And as a side note, apparently I am allergic to purpleheart.

Condolances - suggest you avoid the stuff and give thanks that you aren't allergic to sunshine (I have a friend who was. Bummer.)

| Also the dog I am watching for the week managed to slip out of his | collar while out for his walk.

Let him live. Tomorrow's a new day. :-)

| It's been one of those days.

What can I say? Consider the alternative?

Perhaps: I hope today was the worst day of your life. :-) Glad you survived it.

Morris Dovey

Yeah. Though in this case, I did mention it was cheap, and the square holes punched aren't exactly perfect. I think the phillips would be necessary until it gets tight enough to force it through the paint build up on the rough edges. I don't much feel like filing 34 holes. Ah hell, I've got a box of 1-1/4" 1/4" bolts on hand, kinda long for this but the hell with it. I've still gotta build my own table for the disc sander part of the sander that's going on it because the one that came with it, while spiffy cast iron, is impossible to actually lock securely. So I need to add a piece of ply bolted to the stand and the machine that sticks out to give me a platform to build on, and I can't do that until the stand is assembled.

Grizzly went to the trouble of making a cast iron table, and a nice beefy looking cast bracket. However they didn't machine the mating surfaces between them, and you are supposed to lock it with these two TINY wing nuts and a flat washer against the curved bottom of the bracket. I'd rather have a solid table that doesn't angle than an angling table that I can wobble with my pinky.

Not too impressed with my first Grizzly tool. They did happily send me a bunch of new parts, some of which with the exact same manufacturing defect. And I have two of these little cast iron tables now to build new diabolical tools.

The bummer part is all the other woods that are apparently in the same class of active ingredient, such as a bunch of rosewoods and padauk, which I have worked with before without a problem but are now suspect too.

Oh it's not his fault. His owner, my brother, on the other hand... Same damn thing happened last year when we took him too. Guess it's my fault too for not checking it myself when we took him, but why they felt the need to loosen it again after being told he got out of it I have no idea. I guess it's mean to have it "tight" (I can still get my finger inside it easily after tightening). and not mean to let him get loose and hit by a car. Not to mention that he's learned to try to squirm his way out when he's in trouble or just doesn't feel like following you today.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Take my advice. Never agree to take care of a dog unless its got a square neck.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

is what we use on the dogs when we walk them. On the return trip I can let the nose thing loose on the one dog but my dog pulls a wee bit too much. Bad trainer (me).

Reply to
Jim Behning

They are cheap carriage bolts. The phillips head is so it will not turn when you try to tighten it in the square hole and make it round in the cheap thin sheet metal parts. I suggest using the phillips head screwdriver, as I found out the hard way when I bought something from Horrible Freight, ended up using regular hex head bolts.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I think they do that so that if part of the assembly doesn't require a carriage bolt, they just make the hole round and you can use the same bolt.. Just my WAG, but it would cut down on types of bolts supplied..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

A choke chain or pinch collar will end this problem. The pinch collar will most likely stop his trying after a while. All you have to do is stand there, when he acts up he gets corrected automatically. When he stops acting stupid the correction stops automatically.

Reply to
no spam