what's this kind of wallcovering called?

Hi, what is the name for the kind of wallcovering that comes in rolls and is like a stiff net made of fairly strong threads, with squarish holes between them about 2-3mm wide? I've seen this in Sweden. When you paint it, it looks like textured wallpaper. It's good for covering imperfections in the wall. Is it available in Britain?

Thanks!

John

Reply to
John Nagelson

My wife uses Aida cloth for cross-stitchery, sounds like that kind of thing?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Jessop

36" rolls of plasterer's scrim?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

In message , John Nagelson writes

Do you mean hessian wallpaper?

Reply to
geoff

Hessian ? :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Yep, I think that's it. It's very stiff. You put glue on the wall, then put this stuff on, move it about so it's in the right position, wait for glue to dry and then paint it. Does a good job.

It's not furry at all and is not hessian. It's very much like the scrim shown in this image, but in 1m wide rolls or thereabouts:

Can you get 36" rolls in the UK, and does anyone use them in place of wallpaper? :-)

John

Reply to
John Nagelson

Yes that sounds like similar stuff. Very stiff. You could cut 30cm off the 1m roll and hold it at the short end, and if you hold it right it will stick out and won't sag. (Bishop. Actress. I'll get me coat). Makes for a much easier job than proper wallpapering. I encountered this stuff in Sweden where it's expensive, but almost everything is expensive there. It's obviously made of some kind of synthetic material. Or if there's anything natural in there, it's inside a thick synthetic coat. I've used plasterer's scrim in 3" rolls before, and think it's probably exactly the same stuff.

John

Reply to
John Nagelson

Possibly glass fibre. Top quality ones used to be made by Skandinaviska Jute (but were way beyond my price range so I have no experience of them).

Reply to
Robin

It's possible that you mean Buckram - which is used to stiffen pelmets etc. - but that's a much tighter weave than scrim, and *does* contain hessian - so maybe not. Have a look at:

Roger Mills