What is it? Set 391

Now that I see the flat bottom of the tub, I like the idea that it's a mold. I wonder why a mold needed springs. Were they to slowly squeeze out the excess of something molded cold? For something that expanded as it set?

I wonder what molded object would be like a tiny bread loaf, 1" wide and

1.5" long.

With the big hole in the top, I wonder if something was molded around the base of a rod.

Reply to
J Burns

A Chinese hand held back scrubber massager

Reply to
George W Frost

(...)

Finial mould and the residue is flux?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
lektric dan
2258: maybe for making a lead hammer? These are a common item for machinery setup, and when they get out-of-shape, you just melt the head down and cast a new one (around a steel-pipe handle). Usually see these with left/right mold halves, though. Or a mold for a Babbitt metal bearing, perhaps?

2261: decorative top for a shirt stud. The stud is small and fits through the hole in the shirt, then you clip this top bit over it.

Reply to
whit3rd

...so the timer quickly floats to the top before much sand has moved. ...

Sounds like it doesn't work the same as the hourglass puzzle, I'm guessing the hourglasses are too light weight so a little friction wouldn't be enough to keep them in place for short amount of time.

I would say that we've got the right general answer for the buffer and mold but I haven't been able to find out any specifics on them.

The other four have all been correctly identified, more information on them can be found at the link below:

Rob H.

Some newsreaders actively discourage cross-posting -- especially in replies.

Mine does so -- asking when I start a followup whether I want to post to the current newsgroup (rec.crafts.metalworking in my case) or to "all". If I select "all" -- I again get nagged at when the followup is complete and I want to post it.

I suspect that he is either using a newsreader which does not allow overriding the no-cross-posting feature, or he does not know how to override it.

I got to this too late to post guesses -- I actually totally skipped yesterday -- too busy reading a good book. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's silly. If there's a topic that's of interest, crossposting is recommended over multi-posting:

so on.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich, I had to add two groups to crosspost this because your message said followup-to rec.metalworking.

4.1.5 tells how to delete the followup line from a header. If you deleted it and it came back, 5.1.6 on this page tells how to go to group settings.

Hope this Helps! J

Reply to
J Burns

It just occurred to me that 2260 is a baren used for block printing. When you have inked the printing block and put the paper over it, the baren is used to apply pressure to make the ink evenly transfer to the paper. and . I happened to remember that "baren" is a Japanese word.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

Sounds good to me, I think this is correct, I couldn't find a porcelain one but a baren is the only thing I've found that looks like 2260. I just updated my answer for this one. Thanks!

Reply to
Rob H.

I dunno...that looks all the world to me like some sort of detachable check valve. The little metal tab with "JWW" stamped on it would be the clapper, and the inlet and outlet pipes would be flanged to sit in the device. Probably had a couple of gaskets to keep the steam/water/ whatever inside, and the whole thing could be screwed on. The nubbins and springs tell me that it was meant to fail under tremendous pressure rather than blow out, then slip back into place.

--riverman

Reply to
humunculus