What is it? Set 344

I need help finding an answer for two of them this week:

Rob H.
1975 A locksmith would use this part of a lock-picking set. Put the short end in a key slot. Use the long end to apply gentle torque while fiddling with the pins/tumblers to pick a lock.

1979 A bullet?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

"Rob H." fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

1975 tumbler lever for lock picking 1976 plastic dry hydrant cap? 1977 1978 wash/shaving basin with soap dishes that drain 1979 mini ball 1980 broom tying press?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

1977 boot puller
Reply to
Phil Kangas

Yes. It is commonly called a "tension wrench".

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

1975 Paint can opener?

1978 soap dish to drain water of of bar soap ?

Reply to
WW

Sounds like a good guess, I think it's probably correct though I couldn't find the patent for it.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't think it's a boot jack. The thing is a bit smallish, there's no reason to have the thing double ended, there's no reason to have the arm articulated, every boot jack I've ever seen has a U-shaped end where this one is squared off. The screw holes indicate this is supposed to be fastened to the floor (if it is a boot puller), which is also unusual, and cast iron boot jacks are usually given some decorative treatment - crickets, deer antlers or something like that. I think this thing has a more workaday use.

RicodJour

You have some good points, that's probably why I couldn't find the patent.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It's called a Collection Assistant and we used them in our offices. When a borrower gets behind in the payments, the head goes into the hole and . . . well the rest is obvious.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonny

1975 - Looks like a tension wrench. Used to apply shear force to the pins in the lock while you manipulate them with a pick. 1976 - ???

1977 - Looks sort of like a chain latch used with old style flat link chain. Could hold a load in either direction.

1978 - Holy water basin with baptismal bowls?

1979 - ???

1980 - ??? (wrist clamp?)
Reply to
Steve W.
1976: some kind of rubber bumper? Maybe for a loading dock, or the boat kind of dock?

1979: Minie ball, circa 1864. Found all OVER Virginia.

Reply to
whit3rd

1979 looks like a Crinoid stem, but since its so prominently displayed, I'll say its a piece of Corporalite.

--riveman

Reply to
humunculus

It's not a bumper but it is related to a recreational activity.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It's definitely _not_ a bootjack; it wouldn't even work (for anybody but Paul Bunyon, anyway).

It has similarity to some double-swinging gate latch hardware designs, but not precisely sure how it would work in the orientation as it made so it likely isn't...

--

Reply to
dpb

1975) This looks like a tension tool as part of a lock picking set.

Perhaps a little thick (and thus stiff) for the task, but useable.

1976) Part of a maker's logo - but rather large, so perhaps the logo is on an advertising sign. 1977) At a guess -- this is inlaid in a woodworker's bench, and by pressing on one end, the other end stands up to serve as a workpiece stop or by pressing the other end, the workpiece can slide up it. 1978) Bowl for washing hands, and the smaller ones are for storing soap in, with the holes draining the excess water to the soap does not turn into goo. 1979) Hmm ... sort of looks like a chunk of pumice (volcanic rock that floats) on a support rod.

Or -- it might be a heating element, given what looks like a hint of a power cord near the left hand end.

1980) Stocks for punishing a misbehaving dog?

Otherwise, something for supporting one end of a rotating shaft.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

humunculus fired this volley in news:039c8032-c2e8- snipped-for-privacy@b35g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

Given the current state of Corporations in general, your term might be correct. But, I think it's "coprolite", meaning petrified shit.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Maybe "corporalite" is corporate shit. It could be part of a Chevrolet. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

1980 is intriguing. I wonder what the tag says.

Opened up, it looks big enough to stick something up to 6 x 8" through. The wooded screw is long enough to push the bars closed, but the shape of the cutout suggests that it was made to clamp a large range of sizes. The cutouts would keep the clamped object centered under the screw.

The feet seem to contact the floor at six points. The corner contact points would provide stability, while the center ones would help it support a lot of weight. They appear to be adjustable.

Reply to
J Burns

It could be corporal shit, which ranks below general shit and major shit, but above private shit.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany