What is it? Set 391

I need some help with two of them this week:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /
Rob
Rob H. wrote:

2259: Sort of a physics toy. It's to demonstrate density or something; when you turn it over the two floating hourglasses switch positions.
Cheers! Rich

    Some newsreaders actively discourage cross-posting -- especially in replies.
    Mine does so -- asking when I start a followup whether I want to post to the current newsgroup (rec.crafts.metalworking in my case) or to "all". If I select "all" -- I again get nagged at when the followup is complete and I want to post it.
    I suspect that he is either using a newsreader which does not allow overriding the no-cross-posting feature, or he does not know how to override it.
    I got to this too late to post guesses -- I actually totally skipped yesterday -- too busy reading a good book. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
DoN. Nichols wrote:

That's silly. If there's a topic that's of interest, crossposting is recommended over multi-posting: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
and so on.
Hope This Helps! Rich
On 6/4/11 1:42 AM, Rich Grise wrote:

Rich, I had to add two groups to crosspost this because your message said followup-to rec.metalworking.
<http://knode.sourceforge.net/doc_en_0.3.2_online/using-knode.html#KNODE-HEADERS
4.1.5 tells how to delete the followup line from a header. If you deleted it and it came back, 5.1.6 on this page tells how to go to group settings.
<http://knode.sourceforge.net/doc_en_0.3.2_online/commands.html#AEN2496
Hope this Helps! J
Rob H. wrote:

2262: They were all used in space?
Thanks, Rich

Good guess!
Rob H. wrote:

Thanks! Does this mean I got one right this week? ;-D
(I mean, "Good guess" doesn't necessarily mean, "RIGHT!", like on "Family Feud," they're always saying "Good Answer!" but bzzzzt!) ;-)
Cheers! Rich

Yes, you nailed it, I was short on time but should have added to my answer that the tools were used on the Hubble Telescope.
Rob H. wrote:

Thanks very much for this! I think this will keep my ego inflated all week! ;-D
Cheers! Rich
Rob H. wrote:

2260: Obviously a scrubber of some kind, so I suppose the question is probably, "What was it used on?" I guess I'd say either floor tile or calluses. ;-)
Cheers! Rich

Yes, most people have guessed that it's a polisher, buffer, or scrubber but I haven't been able to find out exactly for what.

A Chinese hand held back scrubber massager
Rob
2257 a) Used to treat people with tunnel vision b) An early style of rose coloured glasses
2260 Back scrubber used in a Japanese bath house
On 6/2/11 4:20 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2259: In the US, alcohol content of liquor must be within 0.15% of what the label says. If one of the floats is set for the upper limit and the other for the lower limit, then if one sinks and one floats, the liquor passes the test. Well, that's my guess...
Rob H. wrote:

2258 Soap mould?
2259 'Viscosity' demonstrator?
2260 Scrubber pad?
2261 Coat button?
--Winston

Sounds like a good possibility, I think it's a mold of some sort but can't get more specific.

Nope
On 6/2/11 4:37 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Why would a small mold have 3/4" holes in the top and bottom?
If I had a couple of pieces of 1/2" or 5/8" copper tubing with oval fittings, this looks like a dandy clamp for quick connects and disconnects. The springs would keep pressure on a gasket. The oval plate could be used when you wanted to stop the flow.
I haven't figured out where one might find copper tubing with oval fittings.

I like the mold idea but someone else had suggested it's for connecting two rods and I like that idea too. There is some type of residue inside of it so that's one reason I like the mold theory, also, the plate could be placed at the bottom covering the hole, something was poured into the mold from the top, after it dried you could push a rod into the hole against the plate to drive it out. Hard to say exactly what they were making, I'm not saying this is correct, just a possible answer.

Seems like another good use for it, but I think it's will be difficult to prove either of these theories and get a definitive answer. The owner of it found it at a car boot sale, I didn't ask but I'm guessing it was in England.
Rob
On 6/2/11 9:14 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Now that I see the flat bottom of the tub, I like the idea that it's a mold. I wonder why a mold needed springs. Were they to slowly squeeze out the excess of something molded cold? For something that expanded as it set?
I wonder what molded object would be like a tiny bread loaf, 1" wide and 1.5" long.
With the big hole in the top, I wonder if something was molded around the base of a rod.