What is it? Set 290

I need some assistance identifying two of them this week:

Rob H.
1655 Guess Set of stippling tools used in etching.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

1654. Mikuni make carburettors etc, looks like a fuel pump with a few parts missing. You can see the in/out ports - dual carbies.

The rest - wouldn't have a clue.

Reply to
Dennis

Rob H. wrote,on my timestamp of 25/06/2009 6:36 PM:

1656 - horseshoe nails
Reply to
Noons

I wondered the same thing - they are long 2 1/2", maybe this is normal, high heels maybe??

:)

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis wrote,on my timestamp of 25/06/2009 8:36 PM:

No. They hammer them in slanted, the tip comes off the side of the hoof and is then cut off. The remaining bit is filed flush with the hoof. (spent too many days of my youth watching a farrier at work...)

Reply to
Noons

That makes sense, I guess they'd hurt a bit otherwise. The only horse podiatry I've seen is a horse getting its hooves trimmed & the gunk underneath cleaned out. The farm dog had a good feed on the scraps.

Reply to
Dennis
1653 is a wood turning tool.

It is used to turn grooves to a particular diameter. If you are copying a piece, you adjust the tool like a caliper to the original and then use to cut a corresponding groove in the duplicate. You hook the tool over the piece in the lathe and push down. When the tool drops to the other side of the work piece, the grove is the same dia as the original.

Paul K Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

The tips are beveled on only one side too. When the nails are driven, that side is always toward the center of the hoof. That causes the nail to bend slightly to the outside. With a slanted start, that makes it less likely the nail will penetrate to the live tissues of the hoof and helps assure it leaves enough outside to cut off and clinch.

Farriery: A job that makes old folks out of young folks very quickly. :)

Reply to
John Husvar

to turn to a specific diameter.

1655 - Possibly a set of rowels to transfer patterns either to cloth or wood. 1656 - Farrier's nails ... I've also used these in making stained glass windows to hold the glass and lead caming temporarily in place while assembling the window.
Reply to
joeljcarver

1651- It's gonna drive me nuts, I've seen one, somewhere... 1653- wood turning diameter setting tool 1654- fuel pump, but for what is the trick I think 1655- I'm going top say for making dotted lines in stencils

Dave

Reply to
XR650L_Dave

hi all, again some silly guesses from germany.

1652 early distance meter for maps?

1654 diaphragm pump?

horseshoe nails

greetings from germany chris

Reply to
Christian Stü
1651 bullet hole plug for rubber boat - think Navy Seal Team (a Swiss army rubber boat with these plugs is for sale in the latest Deutsch Optics catalog) - the photo in the actual catalog shows the olugs.

1652 a German artillery gage for aiming some kind of field gun? Guessing here,, I don't really have an 88 in the back yard.

Joel in Fllorida

Reply to
joelblatt

I'm at all certain about is not an unknown.

1651 - Looks culinary to me; I'd guess maybe a pusher for use in a food mill (of the cone-shaped sieve sort of design). Most I've seen aren't ribbed like this, but perhaps for seedy foods like tomatoes the grooves keep things working more smoothly. 1652 - Some specialized caliper, I'd guess for directly reading the strength of e.g. metal I-beams or similar, maybe for use by persons performing field inspections of structures (where corrosion may have weakened the beams). 1653 - This would appear to be another tenon cutter, for cutting round tenons on work spun in a lathe. 1654 - Possibly a fuel pump and regulator for a four cylinder fuel-injected diesel engine. 1655 - Wild guess: engraver's tools for making patterns, cross-hatches, etc.

Now to read other guesses...

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

1651. Since it is a conical wooden screw, it could be used to force something open. Perhaps it was used to open oysters without killing them in the cultured pearl industry. 1655 Embossing and perforation tools. They are used to emboss, stencil, create folds, and perforate. They can be used on paper, cardstock, leather, and metal. When used on paper and cardstock, the wheels can be used to create tear-off lines. They can also be used to transfer patterns. Look up "Embossing Wheels" and "Embossing Tools" on Google Images to see similar tools. 1656 Horseshoe nails.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

Another thought on 1651. Perhaps this is a pestle. The grooves could be used to break up pills against a flat surface before before they are put into a mortar for final pulveriztion. The grooves would also make a nice grip.

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

1655: Pouncing tools for transferring a pattern to a surface, like:
can dust powder through the indentations to mark the surface.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

1651 -

1652 - Scale tool for maps?

1653 - Looks like a lathe tool with a gauge guide.

1654 - Mikuni fuel pump off a two stroke engine. Uses the vacuum pulses from the crankcase to pump the fuel.

1655 - They look like tools used in scrimshaw work.

1656 - Horse shoe nails, NEW ones. Original hand made don't have the nice heads on them.

Reply to
Steve W.

Grand father started practicing the trade in Shannonville Ontario in

1882 age 8 in his father's shop. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller