What is it? Set 272

I need help with two of them this week, one is obviously some type of clamp, not sure if we can get more specific on how it's used:

Rob H.

1543 looks like an old "Multilith" duplicating machine.
Reply to
Steve R.

I am sure not positive about any of these wild guesses:

1543. Some version of mimeograph machine. The wooden frame makes it pre 60s or more.

1546. Looks like some way of stacking loose hay.

1548. Looks to be tail pipe expander. Does the handle look like it has been hammer driven?
Reply to
DanG

1544. I'm going to say mimeograph machine but it's way older than any I've seen. 1546. Hay Rake? 1547. Some sort of camera. 1548. Jewelers ring expander. These are the ones I'm familiar with.
kfvorwerk
1543 Looks sorta like an oversized cigarette rolling machine, so I'll say cigar making machine.

1544 Portable folding... push down on lever at the left to lift the fork at the right, with no mechanical advantage.

1546 Lifts some harvested agricultural product into a collection wagon. Too feeble for sugar cane. Probably too feeble for hay, but I'm no farmer. What grows close to the ground and be picked up by the wire rakes? I'll make a silly guess... Zucchini harvester. :)

1547 Japanese WWII airplane camera.

1548 Guess... Purpose is to clamp 2 steel (or other material) plates together in, alignment, as part of a manufacturing process. Drill equal size holes in both plates. Shove the segment pieces into the holes. Shove the pin into the center to expand the segments, holding the plates in alignment and clamping them together. After riveting the plates remove the temporary connector.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I found one by translating the 'type 89' written in japanese on the top. #1547 is a 'Rokuoh-Sha Type 89 machine gun camera"

humunculus

This is a better link

humunculus

1546 A hay loader for loading loose hay onto a wagon The small wheels are the front of this implement. 1548 just a guess on this one - a boiler tube expander?

Howard Garner ex-farmer

Reply to
Howard R Garner

That's a great link, thanks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

wheels and and general look of this probably means it was horse drawn. And like the ones I am familiar with, were converted to tractor drawn later in their life. They are pulled behind a trailer or truck. You drive over the hay that has been raked into rows. It is then scooped up and loaded onto the trailer or truck.

And after you get to the barn, you grab big chunks of hay with any number of "hay hooks", that have been featured in this puzzle series. :) You use your horses or tractor to lift the hay up into the hay loft.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

1543 - Ye old hand cranked single tank mimeograph machine. That one looks to be about 1920s vintage. 1544 - instrument stand?

1545 - Maybe a keg/barrel opening tool?

1546 - loose hay/straw loader missing the wooden bed that kept the hay from falling through the chains.

1547 - Gun camera?

1548 - 2 1/2" swaging tool. Many different uses for them. That one looks like it may be for attaching the coupler on a fire hose.
Reply to
Steve W.

I think that first one is an old memograph machine. Remember that nasty smell the ink used to give off.

I think the second or third from last might be a tube end expander.

Reply to
Jay Giuliani

1546 didn't have a wooden bed, the pichup teeth brought the hay up unto the crossbars that traveled with the chains. They are close enough to keep the hay from falling through, and the wood slats on top keep the hay pressed down on the bars so they carry it up over the top. These came into more use after thew advent of the "side delivery" rake, which rolls the swathed hay left by the mowing machine into a windrow, then you use the wagon & hayloader to straddle the windrow and pick it up. Preferably, you have 2 men on the wagon, and the man on the back of the wagon works about 1/3rd harder than the man in front, because he not only has to "build" the rear half of thew load, he has to "pass" the hay to the front man for that half of the load. (DAMHIKT) Graduated from the kid driving the horses and hooking/ unhooking the loader to learning how to "build" a load of hay so it binds in and doesn't fall off the wagon.

Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

1543 Mimeograph machine 1545 Some sort of gauge? 1546 Hay Loader (probably horse drawn) 1547 Movie camera of some sort (Japanese?)
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Most of the ones I have seen had a bed. I guess it may be a different brand? Did you ever get to use the reciprocating style? One of the locals has one and that thing looks like a mechanical nightmare in operation!

Reply to
Steve W.

This hay loader had ropes stapled to the slats to keep the hay from falling through. My dad had this same loader and found it worked very good for loading peas also.

Reply to
Ralph Henrichs

I was also thinking it was a tail pipe expander, though I guess it could also be for boiler pipes as several people have mentioned. I sent an email to the owner asking if there are any marks on the handle, I'll let everyone know what he says when he replies.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yeah, I've seen both types. If I recall, Uncle/s had a bed, but it was galvanized steel, with the oscillating bars on top of the hay to walk it up the bed.

Guess you can just call me an "Old Fart". Learned with horse drawn mower and "dump" rake where you raked across the mower swathsand tripped it to release the hay when the rake got full. A good operator could make a field look almost like it had been done with a side delivery rake, but a novice left it all over the place. When I wanted to rake, Uncle said "sure, just one condition, you bunch and load all you rake". I made about two passes across the field and decided that was enough for a start. Remember, this was BEFORE the hayloader, we had to bunch it with a pitchfork and then pick it up and put it up on the wagon. What a difference the side delivery rake & hayloader made! Then he got his first baler, a New Holland with a 2 cyl. Wisconsin engine to run it. WOW! Now we just had to pick the bales up and put them on the wagon. Of course, being "young fellers" we just had to show off(AKA playin' graba**) a little bit and launch them across the wagon at the guy loading from the other side. Next big step was the bigger tractor with a PTO drive baler & bale "tosser" that put them in a bale rack wagon. Had to drag Uncle into the mechanical age kicking & screaming, he really liked working with horses. Late '60s early '70s we took our three little girls to a county fair and were looking at the antique equipment display when oldest girl(about 10) informed us that "that isn't antique equipment, Uncle has all that stuff on the farm".

Reply to
Nahmie

1543) Spirit duplicator. Hectograph, Mimeograph, various other names.

Gelatin in a pan or attached to a backing which wraps around the drum. (Not sure which style this is for sure.) Ink soaks into the gelatin from the master (sort of a reversed carbon paper using an ink which dissolves in alcohol.)

The paper is wet with alcohol and rolled over the wax to pick up the images. I think that the black cylinder around the central shaft is the reservoir for the alcohol, and spays it on the paper as it rotates, making this one with the gelatin in a pan below it.

They used to use these to make the tests handed out in school when I was in about the sixth grade (1955?) and probably quite a while before that -- but that was when I noticed how the machines worked. :-)

1544) No clue as to the function of this -- except that it appears to fold up into a box, so it is portable.

It almost looks like the left extending paddle is for attaching bait to -- for some kind of box trap, perhaps?

1545) This looks like a wrench for a certain kind of wristwatch back with multiple flats for wrenching it open. Loosen the knob to the right, slide the right jaw to about the right position, then use the knurled knob to the left to tighten the moving jaws visible on the first photo to clamp onto the watch back prior to unscrewing it.

The tongue to the side (near the jaws) bottom on the upper photo, and the extension out the small end of the handle would work as case knives to open snap-in watch cases.

1546) Conveyer for moving cut hay into the wagon bed? 1547) Hmm ... an interesting device. Oriental markings (Chinese, Japanese, or what?)

The silver handle is a cocking lever to set a strong spring. Looks as though it ratchets so you give multiple strokes to wind a large flat spring like a clock spring on steroids in the housing under the lever.

The trigger releases it -- everything, or a single power stroke worth.

Something goes in the windowed chamber above the muzzle contains whatever it drives.

It looks as though the key near the middle winds up the auto-loader for whatever goes in the chamber.

Whether it launches a projectile, drives a stud or stake into something, or even happens to be a strange camera is not clear to me, though it would probably become more clear if I had it in my hands. :-)

1548) O.K. The taper pin could expand it to lock inside a hole.

Or -- it could be used with a hydraulic press to crimp a ferrule to secure a fitting to a hydraulic hose.

By removing numbered segments, you can adjust it for smaller hoses and ferrules.

-----) (No number?)

Looks as though it slides on a notched pole. The shorter stick engages the notchers to keep it from sliding down. The longer one cams the shorter one out of enagement to allow it to slide.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'd be willing to bet the hayloader is a McCormick- Deering.

Reply to
Jesse