What is an adequate size for a mite saw?

I have the opportunity to pick up a never used Dewalt DW703 for nothing. I know it is a good deal, but will I be sorry that it is neither a 12" or a slider?

At this point in time, I do not foresee myself cutting anything bigger than a 2x6 or 4x4 but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. I also don't cut much crown molding but, again, you never know if that may change.

I have learned over the years to buy things once and be done with it or doesn't that pertain to freebies?

Reply to
busbus

If it is a good enough deal you can always sell it if you find it is inadequate. That makes a lot more sense than buying a 12" slider only to find you haven't used it's capacity since you bought it.

Reply to
Toller

I agree with Toller. I have the DeWalt 708 (I think) 12" dual bevel slider. I can cut a 4 x 12 with it. I've never seen a 4x12, but if I do I'll be able to say I can cut it. In my smallish shop I can't keep the slider set up because it requires about 12 inches behind the saw for the sliding mechanism. There have been a alot of days where I wished I had the a smaller one, saw that is.

Dave

Reply to
very_dirty_dave

That's my problem too: SPACE.

The price is right: FREE!

I know looking a gift horse in the mouth is stupid but I don't want to pull the trigger on this if it is less than adequate.

Mehtinks I am going to go for it!!

Reply to
busbus

That's my problem too: SPACE.

The price is right: FREE!

I know looking a gift horse in the mouth is stupid but I don't want to pull the trigger on this if it is less than adequate.

Mehtinks I am going to go for it!!

Reply to
busbus

Take it. I've had a 10" for about 6 years.

The smaller saw may even be more accurate--the blade flexes slightly less than the 12", and the fixed mechanism has less play than the slider.

For right-angle cuts its pretty easy to flip the piece and finish the cut from the other side, assuming the saw is reasonably well aligned.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Ahh.... you did say it was free, correct? Then what exactly is the issue? Take the saw, use it for as long as you deem neccessary. If it ends up being what you want - great, didnt cost you anything. If it ends up NOT being what you want, youre a step ahead of everyone else already - you found that out for free rather then spending the 500 bucks. Go for it.

All that aside, I think 10' is more than sufficient for _most_ people. Unless you plan on cutting massive mouldings are large wood, you dont need the 12' or a slider (both of which will take up more room).

Reply to
canadian_woodworker

Yeah, I know. It's free. Why not?!

The reason I was stammering was because I didn't want to take somehting that may cause me more grief than it was worth. i have stumbled over many so-called bargins in my life that turned out to be the exact opposite, that's all.

But you guys convinced me!

Reply to
busbus

Take it , at that price why question it.

Give it a good checkout before plugging it in as you would for any used equipment.

I bought a radial arm saw because I needed to cut 1 x 8 to length. When I started a house repair project I wound up buying a chop saw because I could move it easily and for quickly trimming 2 x 4 and trim it was ideal.

Reply to
marks542004

When I bought my saw, I bought the 12" because you just never know and figured I'd use the additional size one day. I had a flooring job to do and needed the saw at that time and really could have gotten away with a $79 China special. Truth is, I hardly ever really need the 12". I'm still glad I bought it, but given the price of FREE, the 10" would be quite serviceable for many years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Take it. It is free. If you can't live with it sell it, or donate it and take a tax writeoff. Or better yet, send it to me.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I've had a 10" compound mitre saw for 13 years now.I started with a HD Ryobi with a STEEL deck. HEAVY! After 6 years a carpenter buddy traded me even up for a brand new Hitachi with an aluminum deck. The Hitachi didn't fit in his truck box, but his worn out Ryobu had fit. He knew I had the same saw so he swapped me. He was almost apologizing duirng the transaction.

The 10" saw has done everything I've needed to trim 2 entire houses.

Free is free . . .

Jim

Reply to
jtm065tree