what is a Shaper/Router

If I have a router table do I need a shaper also?

Reply to
Raymond D. Hodil Jr.

Depends on how big the bits are you want to spin and the wood is you want to shape.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I was thinking along the same lines actually. I have no router table, only a 1 1/2 hp Skil router. Should I just buy a shaper and forego the router table and larger router?

Reply to
Paul

Depends on whether you have the other stuff more important to you than a shaper. If you've run out of stuff to buy then yes you need a shaper. Actually, I have both and the shaper is definitely a more robust machine and is capable of cutting wood with a bigger cutter, but a router could handle most tasks for me. I generally use my shaper because it's more convenient for me and has a better fence. Plus, I got a great price on the shaper so I bought it even though I didn't have a plan to do so until it fell into my lap. Look at a sight like Grizzly where you can see some of the shaper cutters you can buy and then consider you needs. My guess is that if you have to ask then you probably don't need a shaper yet.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

I'd been thinking along the same lines recently. Some of the smaller benchtop shaper tables are pretty price competitive w/ the fancier router tables. I mean, once you figure the $$$ for a 3hp router, a lift, a premium fence system, remote start i.e. not having to reach under to the motor all the time, and then the cost of materials for the router table cabinet, it can get *real* pricey. $6-700+. Obviously, router tables can be built for much less, but they'd be more spartan (not always a bad thing).

The biggest arguments I received involved the overall flexibility of the router table, especially if you build your own top and fence systems, as far as joinery is concerned. Maybe not quite as powerful, or as long of a duty cycle as a shaper w/ an induction motor, but then most of us are hobbyists, not pros. Supposedly the shaper works better for production setups. More expensive bits, etc., though some of the little ones do offer adapters to take router bits.

Kind of a grey area. If you come up w/ good reasons one way or another, let us know.

nuk

Reply to
nuk

If the router is big enough and the work isn't every day, day in and day out, the answer is no.

Reply to
Mike G

Built my router table out of 2 x 4's and melamine (much larger then a bench top shaper), don't have a lift, and more often then not just use a straight edged board clamped to the table for a fence. Cost, at the most $100.00. Been using it for years with no problems.

Yes I have a fancy costly fence but nine time out of ten the straight edged board is faster and easier to set up and is all that is needed. Also on the plus side is that when not in use with the router the table gives me large extra work surface.

Reply to
Mike G

You planning on building paneled house doors not cabinet doors, stair cases, make your own T&G flooring, tall, long moulding. Sort of like a pickup truck. Haul a few sheets of ply or a quarter yard of gravel or sand or do you want to haul 15 or 20 sheets of ply or sheet rock, a yard of sand or gravel ...

With the router you might use a stock feeder for climb cuts. With a shaper you will need a stock feeder.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b