What do they do with this wood??

I am sure a call placed to DOT would direct you to whomever has the = highway cleanup bid. With that knowledge you can call them to see if = your collection of the wood would be possible. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis

I was driving back home from a family vacation and happened to note how many felled trees were along the highway. Not windblown or dead, but cut down I guess by the DOT for whatever reason. Some trunks looked to be moved, probably for firewood, but there were 90% of them still lying around. What happens to this wood? It seems to be a huge waste. If I was so inclined would I be able to get permission to cart some away to cut up for use? How does one go about this?? I have a truck and equipment capable of loading and hauling relativly quickly. I'd really hate to see all this apparantly good wood go to waste. Its mostly hardwood for cryin out loud!!

This particuliar place was on an interstate in VA if you need that information. Thanks

Reply to
GBsCards

Cutting trees does keep them off the power lines, plus provide a better clear strip for you to see and avoid crossing critters.

If it wasn't for the liability, and the right-of-way legalities, they'd allow permit gathering. Ask, but be ready for a refusal. It may not be common land, but an easement, and they don't care to have you hire a lawyer if you hurt yourself.

Reply to
George

I asked when they were cutting along my property. First dibs goes to the land owner if they ask (I got mine). Usually, there's someone stopping by asking if they can take it for firewood. Otherwise, it's chipped and removed.

So, ask them when you see them. They *like* having people taking it away, because chipping 14" tree trunks is no picnic.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I have frequently picked up FORD wood. In broad daylight. Never had any problem. Around here it all goes to the landfill unless liberated by a kind soul.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood