What do I need?

I want to use some limbs in a gate. I will need to notch/saddle some of the pieces to make them fit better. I need some sort of drum rasp for this. Can I go and buy an El Cheapo for this, or should I buy something that lasts? And what about some drum type sanding attachment that will chuck up to a 1/2" drill? Should I spend a few bucks more and have something that will last for a few years instead of a few jobs? I will be using these for a few more jobs over the next year.

I've seen lots of these, from a couple of bucks to a lot more than that. What do I need? This is rough wood limbs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sun, Sep 3, 2006, 6:16pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@zydeco.net (Steve=A0B) doth mumble: What do I need? This is rough wood limbs.

First: To go into the thinking room, sit down, and think, instead of just leaving when you finish. Think about what you want to do, and how it can be done.

Personally, I've got a big ass rasp Roy would be proud to own. It'd possibly chew thru a 2X4 in a couple of minutes. That'd probably be my choice. No idea n the world what it cost new, I didn't buy it, was old when I got it, and will probably still be used a thousand years from now. The whole thing I'd say is a good 18" long, minimum, couple of inches wide, flat on one side, rounded on the other. Big.

And, yeah, you could buy an el cheapo whatever. I've got a smallish one, something like a drum rasp, that probably cost a couple of bucks new; fits in a drill, and you definitely don't want to try to scratch an itch with it - from it's looks it'll probably last a few hundred years minimum.

You could use a dowel, chunk of mop handle, tree limb, whatever, wrapped with some real coarse sendpaper. Could glue it on two.

Could also make a flap sander, for use in a drill, it's not rocket science, just slot a dowel, bolt, or piece of metal rod, and slip some sandpaper in the knotch. It'll work.

Or, you can spend bucks for something you probably will spend an hour os looking up when you want to use it; including some of those drill press sanding drums.

If it's just limbs you could probably even carve your knotches out. =

Imagination.

JOAT Laundry room - drop your pants here.

Reply to
J T

[...]

Thanks. I have tendency of going out and buying tools until I find what I need. I just thought I'd save a couple of bucks and ask first.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

| I want to use some limbs in a gate. I will need to notch/saddle | some of the pieces to make them fit better. I need some sort of | drum rasp for this. Can I go and buy an El Cheapo for this, or | should I buy something that lasts? And what about some drum type | sanding attachment that will chuck up to a 1/2" drill? Should I | spend a few bucks more and have something that will last for a few | years instead of a few jobs? I will be using these for a few more | jobs over the next year. | | I've seen lots of these, from a couple of bucks to a lot more than | that. What do I need? This is rough wood limbs.

Chisel, mallet (can use a piece of one of the limbs), sharpening stone, and a small amount of elbow grease.

Morris Dovey