Airless HVLP sprayers

What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure sprayers?

I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would like to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working.

Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay away from model?

Thanks

Reply to
sumdume

I'm a newbie in the spraying area as well, but I think you are talking about two different things. One is an airless sprayer, which is more of a house painting tool. They range from ~$100 Wagner power painters Where the pump, paint container and spray head are built into a single unit to units with a separate pump sending pressurized paint through a hose to the gun.

An HVLP is NOT airless, but has either a high-volume low-pressure source of air (think of the exhaust from a vacuum motor, or in a conversion gun, converts the higher pressure air from a compressor to the lower pressure/higher volume used for this type of spraying. HVLP is better for typical wood-working finishes, not for latex paint.

Reply to
alexy

HVLP and airless are two different spray systems. An airless system is great for painting houses, but not adjustable enough for wood finishes. An HVLP is great for wood finishes but not enough output to efficiently paint a house.

cm

Reply to
cm

If you are going to paint houses, you will need to go with an airless high pressure system. Unfortunately, these don't work too well for woodworking especially in a closed space like a shop, way too much over spray and pump a lot of paint through them. HVLP's are great for woodworkers as there is little overspray involved and are great for many finishes except latex which is too thick for most applications unless thinned..

Reply to
Mike

sumdume wrote: :: What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure :: sprayers? :: :: I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would :: like to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working. :: :: Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay :: away from model? :: :: Thanks

This the kind of thing you mean ?

mrbingley

Looks like the same unit sold in the US by Harbor freight, Rockler, and Woodcraft:

pricing strategy--looks like it is 99, independent of the unit of currency. Maybe we need to find a Canadian supplier of this unit

Reply to
alexy

Any of the Graco airless sprayers will spray the two houses you need to paint and will last way beyond that. I have painted 20+ houses with the $300.00 Graco from Home Depot. You will want another 50' of hose which runs about $1.00 per foot.

As for HVLP's you can buy a low end from Rockler or Wagner in the $100.00 range. If you want a real good starter unit go here:

This is a GREAT starter unit at a good price.

Have fun,

cm

Reply to
cm

I've painted quite a bit with an airless. The best cost-value I have ever seen was when I purchased a used Wagner sprayer, threw away the gun and purchased a Graco gun. The wagner is just a pump, all the work is done by the gun-so buy the best. Carefully study the nozzle types of any brand and match the orfice to the type of paint. Always use a cone filter or a bag filter on the paint just before spraying. They are cheap, work well, take up just a minutes and collect the darnest crap and can be cleaned and reused. Leave the filter on the end of the suction pipe of the wagner, and always clean out the gun filter. (it's located in the barrel of the handle). Practice on a flat wall and be very careful spraying in a corner where the paint load builds up VERY quickly. One last comment- Allow the first coat to dry overnight at least, before recoating. Using latex, the paint forms a skin which appears dry but a quick second coat dissolved that skin and then the whold lot runs. Lowes and if you're desperate, Homo Depo, usually have used sprayers on hand although you may have to ask at the desk. Jim

Reply to
ivy.dolan