HVLP Sprayers

Thinking about getting one of these >

used one?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The 'airless' types, rubbish. I have an Apollo HVLP set (uses a blower) and that's pretty good. The fan unit is also very useful for drying out pipes before soldering. ;-) It screws straight on to a normal washing machine tap.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll second that.....

Reply to
The Wanderer

I'll third it. Had an airless one years ago. I was thinking of a HVLP with a blower.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What are you thinking of doing with it?

For room-decoration, the professionals are using (industrial-grade) airless sprayers rather than HVLP.

See:

dom

IIRC, you need special and expensive paint. Otherwise you spend more time clearing blockages than spraying.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Apollo were the 'king' of those some years ago. With all parts available as spares. Mine cost about 200 quid. One major advantage over high pressure is the whole thing is light and easily portable - unlike a compressor type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

=A0 London SW

I think the O.P. referenced an Earlex HVLP unit. The link brought up airless as well as HVLP.

Lot of rubbish being talked here. I have used airless for both fence painting, (creosote) and workshop internal walls painting (emulsion). When used correctly they are fine.

Some years back I switched to an Earlex HVLP unit and it is truly excellent. I use it for fine finishing on furniture and it suits me fine for that. Less wastage and less blow back. Google ' EarlexHVLP reviews' and you'll find several positive reviews done on the other side of the pond.

One of the advantages of the Earlex unit is the lack of adjustments. I found fiddling with spray patterns, flow rates, cap sizes etc. utterly confusing.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
fred

They may be ok where just doing something a brush does as well.

Right. If the airless was so good why change? ;-)

I've only experience of the Apollo. Can you get all spares for Earlex? They appear to be more of a shed low cost tool. That's not to say they don't work ok, though.

Paint mixture and flow rates etc are pretty critical for decent results with many paints.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which one and what for, the guns look very fragile cheap plastic ive got an older one of these

works very well unless you intend spraying thick paint.

-
Reply to
Mark

But faster, faster, faster

Because the HVLP was better. Why do you think ?

=A0 London SW

Reply to
fred

Maybe for very large jobs. But factor in preparation, cleaning up afterwards and waiting for ideal weather conditions makes them simply not worth the bother.

Indeed. Hence my comment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So anything less better is "rubbish" in your eyes.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Not only in my 'eyes' by the posts here. You're the only one defending them. And lead free solder.

You might do better looking beyond what B&Q sell.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)