Well, well, well. Another Cabinet Master feature.

You do a masterful job of hiding that ambivalence behind the gleeful trumpeting of any real or perceived problems with them.

Okay. I certainly agree that getting in a lather about how much better they are than K bodies is pretty silly. Both are nice products, and there are things that people might like about each. BFD. Sounds like you almost decided to counter-lather the latherer.

Why does it bother you if these features were perceived or real advantages to other people, even if they were not to you?

Yeah, I checked that out, and it is not just from mishandling. Can happen just by normal sliding shut. And can be avoided by leaving the screw turned in 1/2" or so, so that it can be fully backed out if they become stuck. I agree that better design should not require that, but I say BFD, particularly knowing that if I do fully back out the screw and get them stuck the screwdriver solution is still there.

Reply to
alexy

Bingo.

Add your name to the too-short list of people who get it.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Um, is that paragraph what you are Bingoing? I don't think you were agreeing earlier that BOTH were nice products or acknowledged that there were legitimate reasons to like the CM clamps up until now maybe. Anyway, the K-Body owners have legitimate reasons to like their tools and the CM owners have legitimate reasons to like their tools. We should all respect each others reasons for choosing one product over another and not be so dead set with the idea that what is good for one individual is the absolute best for every one. Any way LRod, why don't we get back to focusing more of our energy towards solving problems and giving good advice.

BTY, on you pet peeve site, the first word "voila" ;~) I see that you were pointing out that the word actually starts out with a "V" sound vs. the "W" sound, but did you know that the " a" at the end of the word is a LONG "a"? Voila is actually pronounced vwa-lay. Thought you might appreciate that. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Where I come from (S Louisiana) we pronounce it vwä-'lä when speaking French to each other (leave off your "y"). It is noteworthy that many of those educated in the last twenty years seem to prefer spelling it "viola".

Reply to
Swingman

I knew I was going to get something back on this.. ;~) I was using an internet site that verbally pronounces words so that you can hear how the word is pronounced. I think most people pronounce the la as like the note "la" as in do ra me fa so la.

Apparently.... The online dictionary breaks it out as you did with the 2 dots over the "a", which means the "a" should sound like the la or the "a" in father. Oddly, the verbal that you hear comes out vwa- lay.

My apologies to LRod and others for the bad information on this matter.

Thank you Swingman.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

And actually spelled "voilà". Either French has changed since I took it 30+ years ago, I was taught wrong, or you are wrong. I'm not sure which, but I'm betting on the third (but not betting big bucks, because I sucked as a French student!). Interestingly, an online dictionary pronounces it as you describe, even though their phonetic spelling of it shows the same vowel sound for the first and second syllable. And a French pronunciation guide I checked showed à as being pronounce like the a in papa.

Maybe a native French speaker can chime in here?

Reply to
alexy

Even if they are not in the orchestra?

Reply to
alexy

Thanks Alexy, Swingman has already pointed out my error and I probably used the same on line dictionary that you did. ;~(. It kinda contradicts it self . Shows one way and says another way.

I apologize again for the confusing information.

Reply to
Leon

What I have found quite interesting about all of this is that LRod has unwittingly unearthed yet another "Wreck WoodDorking Sacred Subject". What I want to know now is how this one stacks up in the hierarchy. I realize its way below Lee Valley (everything is/Lee Valley is The Scared of The Sacred) but did/does it nudge out the Forrest WWII for the number two spot?

UA100, from the short list...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If you are talking about the orange pads used on the pipe clamps, I get that too. I um sand off and finish. I have NEVER had any trouble with the finish in these areas.

Reply to
Rumpty

Or worse yet, "wallah".

Doug Miller

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:31:00 GMT, alexy scribbled

Close to the "a" in father, but a little more open. No diphtongization at all.

BTW, the "à" (a with a grave accent) in voilà can be accessed by holding the ALT key and hitting 133 on the numeric keypad.

Luigi who grew up in Montreal and likes to say that English is his third language, without pronouncing the superfluous "h" in third, of course.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:41:51 -0500, Unisaw A100 commented:

How could you forget the real #2 sacred cow: Norm.

On the other hand, how could I have missed this prime Anti-FAQ fodder? I now have to find the best angle for "What are the best clamps?"

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

AkchooLee, no, there are no humans on the list at this time. At least none spring to mind. Norm has long been debated, vilified and beatified here so he ain't onnit. Nope, not on the list. Now Rob Lee teknikaLee is by his association with Lee Valley. I'm not sure how it counts though. Now that Rob has been added to the Highest Order of Canucks I expect to see churches in his honor (honour David) springing up all across the lands.

Its the subtleties that we over look. As for angle clamps, I've yet to find one that I really like. Maybe Lee Valley has one?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100