Well, well, well. Another Cabinet Master feature.

This (and part of a response) was posted on a woodworking forum today (Friday, 24 October) and presented here without further analysis:

When I clamp ceder (sic) with my new Jorgensen heavy duty clamps I find "oil spots" where the clamp pads had been pressing against the wood. The "oil" also has leached about 1/4 inch radially out from the clamping area. I have washed the pads with hot soapy water and then cleaned tham with acetone. This has reduced the oit (sic) spots but not completely stopped them from occuring. Has anyone had a similar proble (sic) and been able to resolve it?

One of the replies from a chemical engineer said, "My solution is to only use clamps with rigid plastic faces (Bessey K bodies for example) when clamping sensitive areas."

Note, this isn't me. I just reposted what someone else had posted.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Sounds like a new urban legend in the making.

"LRod" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.bellsouth.net... : : This (and part of a response) was posted on a woodworking forum today : (Friday, 24 October) and presented here without further analysis: : : When I clamp ceder (sic) with my new Jorgensen heavy duty clamps I : find "oil spots" where the clamp pads had been pressing against the : wood. The "oil" also has leached about 1/4 inch radially out from the : clamping area. I have washed the pads with hot soapy water and then : cleaned tham with acetone. This has reduced the oit (sic) spots but : not completely stopped them from occuring. Has anyone had a similar : proble (sic) and been able to resolve it? : : One of the replies from a chemical engineer said, "My solution is to : only use clamps with rigid plastic faces (Bessey K bodies for example) : when clamping sensitive areas." : : Note, this isn't me. I just reposted what someone else had posted. : : : LRod : : Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite : : Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999 : :

Bob Gramza

What a coincidence! My cabinet masters infect the wood with ebola virus. I'm thinking of getting rid of them, but they are locked shut on my a** and I can't get them loose. They really suck. I won't even go into what happened when I used them on "sensitive areas"

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

LRod, you seem to really have bug up your @33 about Cabinet Masters, but if this report is true, then I would agree that it falls into the category of design flaw rather than minor inconvenience. As I type this, I am testing one of my clamps, with a clean sheet of typing paper wrapped around a paperback book. Also have a pipe clamp on it, to see if any oil is coming from the paper in the book.

I'll report back.

Reply to
alexy

My guess is the "oil" is coming from the Cedar, not the clamp.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

This is unbelievable. I have looked at your website, LRod, for a long time. I got a kick out of a lot of your stories and loved the stuff you've compiled about NYW. You're woodworking experience and advice has always been appreciated by me. But, the way you're pushing all this BS about these clamps, for no apparent rational reason is baffling. We're talking about clamps, for God's sake. It's not religion. I'm sure you won't give a rat's a$$ about it, but I wonder if you realize how bizarre you seem by "taking the fight to the Cabinet Masters".

You never even responding in the other thread about that link I posted regarding the possible "fatigue" problem with k-bodies. Anyway, enough time has been wasted on this topic, I think.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Thank you. Seriously.

It does seem bizarre that a lot of people do seem to take it religiously. Actually, I'm kind of ambivalent about the CMs themselves, partly because I like my K-Bodies and have a lot of them, so I'm not even in the clamp market (which is to say I don't have a dog in this hunt, to quote the vernacular).

I think this all started when they first came out and some people got in a lather about how much better they were than K-Bodies (using some of the same arguments you did), when in fact, some of those "features" may not be anything more than marketing gimmicks. We've covered that subject elsewhere.

The thing that got to me was when people would carry on about the supposed (and undemonstrated) advantages AND talk about how they were much cheaper (when in fact they are only a couple of bucks cheaper). If they were priced by the pound then the CMs have it all over the Besseys. I have more than $1000 worth of K-Bodies. So I could have saved what? $60 by buying CMs (which weren't even on the market when I got the Besseys)? At two or four clamps per purchase, big deal.

Then the sticking head thing cropped up. And it wasn't just an early run of clamps, it wasn't a rare occurence, and it wasn't from mishandling. What it was, was unique to the CM design; K-Bodies don't do that. As far as I know, Gros-Stabils don't do that. The religious war part began when I pointed that out to people and you would think I had insulted their imam or something.

I checked the link. It was obvious that the site was a Gros-Stabil seller, thus rendering the "report" suspect. You acknowledged that when you posted the link.

In any event, as I said about the instance you alleged, there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of K-Bodies in use starting from maybe 15 years ago. So far, we have what? a couple of allegations that one or two MIGHT have failed.

Now contrast that with the much smaller sample of CMs extant with the incredible percentage of users having problems (not one or two users, but dozens; and not just the sticking head problem, either) and I think that "design flaw" is not too strong a word.

But let's leave "design flaw" out of it. How would you characterize a complaint rate of, say 10% vs a complaint rate of, say 0.001%? Massage the numbers however you want; make it 5% (half) vs 0.01% (X10) if it makes you feel better. THAT's the point.

As I said, Jorgensen/ACC makes some nice clamps. The CM may even have some interesting innovations, but to claim it is light years ahead of the K-Body, particularly given the reliability history, is, um, slavishly myopic. How's that?

I'm sorry my position offends you. However, I like pricking baloons, but okay. I won't post any more in this thread. You can have the last word. This is mine (in this thread, not necessarily on this subject).

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

That was suggested in one of the replies in the original thread, however, two other posters mentioned the same thing had happened with maple. Not much oil in maple.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

No, just the third party hyperbole about them. See my reply to Mike.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

LRod,

I love ya man, but I think this may have been a mistake. Unless I'm reading this wrong, the original poster is simply talking about moisture or, perhaps, oil, collecting at the site the clamp is grabbing the wood. I've experienced this many times with many different clamps. It's the wood giving off the moisture or oil, not the clamps, and it goes away (sinks back in) after the clamp has been removed awhile..

Phil, a confirmed KBody user.

Reply to
Phil Anderson

LRod you seem to really have a bug up your ass over these clamps.

The people that actually own and use CM clamps know that most of what you blurt out is fabricated in you busy little mind...

TROLL..

Reply to
Leon

LRod has become very own resident Troll..

Reply to
Leon

I have seen LRod's site also.. Lots of info in there... relative easy to navigate...

I noticed he has a "pet peeve" section.. I suspect that the Cabinet Master clamps are going to be added in soon.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Keep it up and he'll add you too! :-)

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Naw Jack, I think I have passed that and am already on his S_it list.. LOL

Reply to
Leon

F-clamps did this to me last week when clamping MDF. The clamps have soft pads over the jaws. After the overnight glue-up, there were precisely pad-shaped oil spots where the clamps had been. At the time I thought to myself a clamp company should know better. But at least I can take these pads off. I'd have been really peeved if the clamps' permanent jaws did this.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Adams

he's just pissed that he lost out on the woodcraft clamp sale. sounds like sour clamps to me

Reply to
TomL

LRod,

I am a little surprised at some of the regulars shooting the messenger. It is not improbable that the clamp pad sweats (I have a Snap-On screwdriver that sweats plasticizer). Reading a few other posts, the reports seem to agree that the pads *do* sweat.

Perhaps if the discussion continues the emotional rhetoric could cease and just facts be discussed. After all, this is how we decided the world is round, and not flat.

Methinks the trolls have stirred everyone up too much.

cheers,

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

No, the other parties reported that the same thing had happened with after-market soft pads.

Reply to
alexy

After 9 hours, the CM and the pipe clamp (no pads) came off. The white typing paper showed no signs of stains, and when held up to bright light showed none of the enhanced translucence typical of oil or water on paper.

That's not to prove that no CMs or K-bodies have such a problem, but just that mine (more accurately, the one of mine that I tested) don't.

Reply to
alexy