Weatherproofing a birdhouse

Hi guys, I've just finished building a birdhouse from a cheap computer desk (talk about recycling). It's particle board with the plastic(?) coating that looks like wood. I'd like to weatherproof it. I thought of just slapping on multiple layers of paint I have laying around. I don't think the birds will mind. Comments? Suggestions? TIA Joe

Reply to
Joe_Stein

I would go with anything water-based or shellac. Anything non-toxic.

Reply to
Wilson

Particle board is the wrong "wood" to use for outdoor projects since it tends to weaken and fall apart when exposed to water. Since you have already finished the project, an outdoor paint would be fine. Make sure it is completely cured, about two weeks, before placing outside. Any of the film forming finishes including paint will be nontoxic once fully cured. If you really want to go for it, try the epoxy coatings that are made for marine use. That will completely waterproof it but it is overkill in my opinion. Lacquer would be the worst film finish that you could use for your application.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

The political signs that are plastic but look like corrugated cardboard boxes make outstanding roofing material for birdhouses. I always knew there had to be a use for those damned things!

Should have built it out of cedar fencing material, then the weather won't bother it.

John

Joe_Ste> Hi guys,

Reply to
John DeBoo

That's called Coroplast, and it also makes excellent tails for radio control combat planes. Print shops often give away odd shaped and/or colored scraps for the asking.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Paint will help protect it. Do not paint the inside. An asphalt roof shingle on top will provide added protection.

Reply to
Phisherman

Joe_Stein wrote in news:ljWAd.7204$qf5.4176 @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Tyvek HouseWrap.. works great.