Waterstone sharpening - wow!

snip

or the router to whip up some heavy cream with the wire whisk:-) Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Bob...

Look for a "friend of a friend" that happens to be a machinist...chances are pretty good that s/he will have access to a surface grinder. It's realy quite easy to do, altho the easiest way requires grinding the sides of chisels so they might wind up a little thinner than you started, but it does make it faster. It's how I do my chisels...granted, I have no mortice chisels that I need to be too concerned about the width.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

No threat of that. Near as I can tell, you can't buy heavy creme in the US. What we used to call milk is now half and half.

Reply to
CW

That is damned funny, and all too true.

Good one, CW.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Depends on what they do but around here, the machine shop that has a surface grinder is the exception, not the rule. We have one but we have a complete die shop. Why grind the sides? I don't.

Reply to
CW

You can still buy "whipping" cream. Not the same as heavy cream?

Reply to
D. J. MCBRIDE

Reminds me of a job I had at a cafeteria when I first came to the city from living on a farm. I tasted the milk and told the mangement that something was wrong with it. They tasted it and said it was fine. And they ran around and had a number of people taste it to make sure. Then they asked me why I thought it was bad.

I told them that it was watered down. They asked me where I was from. I told them a farm. They all laughed. They went on to inform me that this was the city. And they did things differrent than the farm. It bacame something of a stnding joke that I was from the farm. Nothing hurtful. Just some cityslickers asking all kinds of questions about another kind of life.

I used to work on dairy farms. And the milk would foam up because of the high butterfat content. Even so called "whole" milk is watered down and has cream taken out of it.

Remeber when you could buy juice that had particulate matter in it and was thick? Now all you can buy is the strined, watered down pretend juices.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Wonder how many folks remember the glass milk bottles with the cream bulb in the neck?

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Or the friendly milkman coming by your house to deliver the milk?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I have the Kitayama Super Polishing Stone from Japan Woodworker. Funny I could have sworn mine was #8000 grit, but on JW's website it's graded at #12000...still 8000 or 12000 my tools are unbelievably sharp after I get rid of the fine grind marks left by the 4000 stone.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

I do. Out to the front porch every morning to the milk box.

Reply to
CW

Nope. Used to buy whipping cream and you had to get it out of the container with a spoon. No where near that today. I still use my grandmothers ice cream recipe. To get it to come out right, I have to cut the amount of milk in half and double the amount of cream called for. We have a dairy right down the road. They deliver. They claim their products are the way they used to be. Ya, like the used to be last year. Might as well by it in the store.

Reply to
CW

"CW" wrote in news:NiWJe.3302$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Gee, since we;re already way off-topic, what's your grandmother's ice cream recipe? One of my best memories of childhood is sitting on the back stoop at my great-grandparent's house hand cranking on the ice cream churn. Only the kids that took a turn on the crank got a bowl!

Reply to
Dan Major

Flattening with sandpaper can take a long time if you don't change the sandpaper often. The sandpaper will dull and clog with slurry. When you use the higher grit SP for sharpening it kind of gives you a false sense that your edge is getting sharper because it looks shinier. But, really the edge is being polished by the slurry and not getting any sharper. An edge sharpened on a higher grit waterstone will look duller, but will actually be sharper. Like Steve Knight says, "Shiny does not mean sharp."

The 200 grit stone will cut very fast. But depending on your tools and technique the waterstone can go "unflat" quickly too. Be sure to check for flatness as you use the stone(s).

Diamond stones are great, but to me they're expensive for flattening plane irons and chisels, but are good for flattening waterstones. If you do get a diamond stone get one with monochrystaline diamonds as opposed to polychrystaline. The diamonds are uniform on mono and they wear longer.

Also, let the waterstone do the work. Don't apply too much pressure. Same applies to diamond stones.

Layne

Reply to
Layne

And cold winter mornings when it would rise up like a creamcycle?

Glen

Reply to
Glen

I would assume that a lower grit diamond would be what you want for flattening waterstones? What grit would you recommend?

Reply to
Swingman

I use an XC, the coarsest DMT.

Reply to
B a r r y

Thank you!

Reply to
Swingman

Or getting chunks of ice from him on hot summer days.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Seconded! A good ice cream recipe would be a great thing to have. I'm really tired of this ice milk stuff they sell.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax