Warning! I'm gonna whine about what went wrong today in the shop

Had to have been a reason other than cost savings for removing that component. Maybe obsolescence or other considerations. Maybe the need to pre-screen the parts may have resulted in some cost savings (i.e, the part itself was really a higher cost than a few tenths of a cent), or the cost of installation, logistics of being able to reduce part count. Even though the prime may have had control of the drawing package, doesn't the procurring agency have right of refusal for design changes?

Mark & Juanita

is it really that big of a deal to turn the dc on by hand

Reply to
Dave

David wrote in news:PIWdnVxCYOYg7QLeRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Sounds like they sold you the wrong thing. Typical of RS.

They have what looks like the right thing on their web-site.

's grounded and all. No fancy expansion interface, just a remote on/off switch.

Good luck.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

YES! It's bad enough I have to move the 20' hose to each tool 300 times a day. :)

Dave

Reply to
David

Thanks Brad. the one spec I can't find listed is the amperage it will handle. Also, the owners manual link doesn't work. When I get a chance I'll see if there's anyone at RC that knows the amperage.

Dave

Reply to
David

Defense contractors should be giving charity to the U.S. Government?

Ain't that the truth. I worked on the Phoenix missile

the time I hired on with Hughes as an electronics tech and worked on an experimental assembly line building the first 30 production prototype missiles, to the time that I was the Responsible Engineer for the solid-state transmitter. Almost 20 years. Our program manager required that -any- change, even a parts value change, be evaluated at the all-up missile level. This was after subassembly and unit level testing, all performed after temperature stress-screening and included full environmental (temperature, shock and vibration) testing.

Later in my career I was a group head in a components engineering department, where we supported all programs. I can guarantee that the preparation of the component drawings, and change paperwork cost more than -any- component, even some pricey subassemblies ever did.

Furthermore, each military branch had a program office in our facility and their represenatives were always involved in design reviews, if they chose to be.

After retiring from Hughes, I was asked to hire on with Raytheon, after they bought Hughes. In that capacity, I worked on Standard Missile, some varients of which are Navy "self-defense missiles."

me, we didn't pull any parts out of them willy-nilly either.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Reply to
nospambob