Vertical Sliding Sash Windows - Draught Excluders

I've just got quite a large commission to refurbish/replace a number of

12-pane vertically sliding sash windows in a 300-year old farmhouse. I don't have any problems with that, but these things were fitted with Hermeseal draught excluders nearly 40 years ago. These are like a very fine leaf spring (looks like a copper alloy), with a Vee cross-section. Each leaf of the Vee is about 1" wide, and the top of the Vee is open by around 1/4" when not under compression. One leaf of the Vee is punched for nailing, so the whole spring looks a little like a slightly-open piano hinge. Obviously these were obtainable in considerable lengths, since the same system was fitted around the lady's doors.

One leaf of the Vee is nailed to the frame with fine headed pins at approx

1" intervals between the outer bead and the parting bead (in the case of the upper sash), and the spring runs vertically, the full length of the sash. When the sash is offered into the frame, these leaf springs (obviously, there's one at either side of the sash) are compressed, and the free edge of the Vee springs hard against the sliding sash, forming a very effective weather seal. The extreme thinness of the metal means that even quite small gaps can be sealed. The springs also prevent the windows rattling in the wind.

To do a thorough refurbishment of the frames, I'm going to have to lever these off. Given the frequency they're nailed at, I think that it's going to be difficult to do without damaging the very fine leaves, so I'll probably need replacement seals.

I've done a Google, and all it comes up with is a period display poster advertising the Hermeseal company (dated 1950!).

I've found a similar, though smaller, version of the system made in PVC, at

I'm not convinced about the suitability or longevity of PVC in a sliding application. So I'd like, if possible, to stick with the metal version that's been working flawlessly for these 40 years.

From the lack of info on the Web and Yellow Pages, I guess that that Hermeseal are long defunct, but these seals are such an outstanding product, that I can't believe that no-one else makes them. Any pointers, please? I'd prefer UK, but if these are only available elsewhere, I'd certainly consider importing them.

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

I used to install similar products on both doors and windows. You might have some luck searching on the website referenced below.

Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Take a piece of the old seal to a sheet metal shop, have them make new ones for you. Very easy.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Hi, Two manufaturers/distributors over here (US) are Pemko and Zero-track. They make shapes of bronze/brass weatherstripping that nail on as you describe. Casey

Reply to
Casey

A quick google for bronze weatherstrip found this supplier. (USA I'm afraid)

is a flat strip you nail on and run a tool down to make it bow outwards although I notice they also list some V-strip too.

Mel

Thanks to all who replied.

Cheers,

Frank