Varnish = Urethane ????

A very good summary in all but one point. The resin need not be synthetic. There are still some makers out there that use natural resins such as rosin and amber. Tried and True finishes is one example.

Reply to
MikeG

Why ? When did dictionaries become an authority on technical terms? Even if you ask the OWLs themselves they don't claim to be the creators of language, only it's documentors. When you get to technical or craft terminology, dictionaries produced by general lexicographers are often carefully accurate over their source citations, but vague or downright wrong over meanings.

Well that's the description of someone who's never tried it. Have you ever made copal dissolve in oil ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And BS is BS.

While the above is, by dictionary definition, technically true,

***********************************************************************=20 PRONUNCIATION: v=E4rnsh KEY NOUN: 1a. A paint containing a solvent and= =20 an oxidizing or evaporating binder, used to coat a surface with a hard,=20 glossy, transparent film.=20 ************************************************************************

of the hundreds of woodworkers I've known over the years not one would=20 accept paint et al under the heading of varnish nor a clear coat as=20 paint in a normal woodworking discourse. In other words, in the=20 woodworking community, the dictionary definition is also BS written by=20 someone who's only woodworking experience has been sharpening their #2=20 pencil.=20

Using the above definition with a bunch of woodworkers is nit picking=20 just for the sake of an argument at best, at worst, well........... =20

=20

--=20 MikeG Heirloom Woods

snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

Reply to
MikeG

Now let's see, I guess that Imron, Awlgrip, and Irathane are all varnishes. I guess that the 3M 8561 Transparent Film that we used to use to protect the heaters on the DHC-7 was a varnish.

I see. So the piece of lucite I have covering my desktop is varnish? After all it's used for protection of a surface and is transparent. Polyurethane refers to large family of plastics with varied properties and uses. While it is used for transparent coatings, that is only one minor use to which it is put. Take a look at for a wide range of polurethane products most of which are not adhesives or surface coatings.

Reply to
J. Clarke

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, varnish is "Resinous matter dissolved in some liquid and used for spreading over a surface in order to give this a hard, shining, transparent coat, by which it is made more durable or ornamental".

Now what's your source for the claim that paint is varnish? It fails the transparency test. If one wants to be pedantic then 100% solids transparent urethane would also not be "varnish" because it's not dissolved in anything, it's all "resinous matter".

Reply to
J. Clarke

I did. The Oxford. It excludes paint, and if one is being pedantic it excludes polyesters, epoxies, and some urethanes.

So how about if it's a liquid that cures solid without ever being dissolved in anything?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Uh, there are paint removers that will remove cured polyurethane from epoxy without damaging the epoxy. The ones that remove the epoxy too are "the most caustic aircraft paint removers known to man".

Reply to
J. Clarke

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

var·nish (vär'n?sh) n.

1.. A paint containing a solvent and an oxidizing or evaporating binder, used to coat a surface with a hard, glossy, transparent film. 2.. The smooth coating or gloss resulting from the application of this paint.
Reply to
Leon

Ok, Now you are assuming that all paints are opaque.

Reply to
Leon

While the above is, by dictionary definition, technically true,

*********************************************************************** PRONUNCIATION: värnsh KEY NOUN: 1a. A paint containing a solvent and an oxidizing or evaporating binder, used to coat a surface with a hard, glossy, transparent film. ************************************************************************

of the hundreds of woodworkers I've known over the years not one would accept paint et al under the heading of varnish nor a clear coat as paint in a normal woodworking discourse. In other words, in the woodworking community, the dictionary definition is also BS written by someone who's only woodworking experience has been sharpening their #2 pencil.

Using the above definition with a bunch of woodworkers is nit picking just for the sake of an argument at best, at worst, well...........

I think most wood workers are capable of understanding the difference.

Need the technical definition be changed to satisfy those that cannot learn the difference?

With the statement, "all polyurethane is not varnish", being wrong, a correction is not nit picking.

Reply to
Leon

My original knowledge of this came from my brother in law. He checked his "Artist Encyclopedia" and learnd this definition. This large dictionary looking book deals mainly with making your own paints.

Reply to
Leon

No, the technical definition is inadequate and out dated and should be corrected and updated to keep up with an ever changing real world.

Like I said, nit picking or you aren't capable of understanding the difference.

Take your pick you are either one the other or..........

MikeG Heirloom Woods

snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

Reply to
MikeG

All of this has helped but OP now has a headache. I think I will drive to Tulsa (90 miles) this weekend and visit the Woodcraft store for some recommended finishes. Mike in Arkansas

Reply to
JMWEBER987

That's not exactly in agreement with the Oxford, but it's close. Note that "transparent" is one of the defining characteristics. If it contains an opaque pigment then it's not varnish.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Then I suggest you re-read that more carefully.

It states that varnishes are paints, and that varnishes are transparent.

It does _not_ state that paints are varnishes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Point made. I Stand corrected on this point. However, white wash, is not totally opaque and is considered paint.

Reply to
Leon

I'll go and agree with you on that point. Although I would think that a finish could contain some pigment and still be termed a varnish as long as it is not opaque.

Reply to
Leon

Well I think if you believe this you should have this corrected.

Oh I understand, you simply choose to not believe.

Reply to
Leon

I have another reference that states that a varnish need not be transparent, clear. It can also be translucent, which I would say most varnishes are.

Reply to
Leon

Which is the case for some urethane-based varnishes sold as "spar varnish", among others.

Reply to
J. Clarke