Varnish

Almost finished a tin of Ronseal Ultra-tough PU varnish. It seems to be OK, but it doesn't set - or takes a long time - on some hardwoods and I have quite a lot of such wood that get used fro various things.

I need to get some more varnish, pref. satin, and wonder what the best sort is. It's for things like small shelves and tables and sometimes wood used outside, so needs to withstand heat, abrasion, water etc.

I don't go for '24 coats rubbed down between' sort of finish but do need something that's fairly easy to apply (the Ronseal stays wet for long enough even in warm weather to do a reasonable area).

Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Varnish Satin from SF looks OK but is a lot more than I need!

Any suggestions please?

Reply to
PeterC

Try Wicked transparent woodstain available in 1ltr tind. Used on an exterior hardwood frame & is just showing signs of wear on edges aftermore tha 2 years. I've no doubt tha people like Sadolin will do a more durable version. The advantage of a stain is that it does not form a film which will peel off

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

waterproof quality stain is Sikkens Filter 7 over a base coat of HLS .... but it's not suited for high abrasion ... walking on or heat. Good for vibration, water resistance though.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

That's the point - for a table it'd need to be hard and resistant to scratching.

On my shed, clad in WBP, I use Wickes' All Purpose stuff. It's meant for interior use, but it seems to 'shed' water and it just soaks in, so no coating to be worn off or to be prepared before recoating.

Reply to
PeterC