Sanded floor varnish emergency

Hi
Spent ages lovingly sanding my lounge floor boards. Hired a sander, went up through the sand papers to the finer grades to make it nice and smooth.
Bought a tin of Ronseal Diamond Hard Clear Satin floor varnish, hoovered teh sanded floor with a dyson, left it for a day, hoovered the floor boards again with teh hoover. Painted a first coat of varnish and it looked ok. Waited 2 hours as suggested on the tin for the varnish to dry, felt dry, put another coat of varnish down. On one floor board there is a patch about a metre long that has dried almost white rather than clear. Unlike the rest of the floor it has also crazed slightly on the surface rather than feeling smooth. What have I done wrong? I tried to put a another coat on top of this patch to see if it would mingle with teh rest of the floor but it hasnt helped! Can I sand that patch back the the wood again and redo just that patch of will that make the floor look even more of a mess?
Feel a bit sick that spent so much time on it and now this patch has appeared. Off out to buy a small rug...
Thanks for any help
Richard

Personally, I'd leave it all to dry for a couple of days, sand down that one floorboard and re-varnish.
Either the second coat was reacting to the first coat (Not dry enough) or there was something actually in the wood, causing problems.
sponix
Hi

That sort of varnish won't 'feather in' easily. Try to just sand & re coat that board - even if you have to take it up.
Dave

<snip>
I'd suspect that as it's confined to one board, it's a problem with the wood. Maybe it got something spilt on it at one time? One way to fix, if you can't seem to get it right otherwise would be to simply take a circular saw, or jigsaw, and carefully saw down the middle of the board in a couple of places. Now, cut out so you have a rectangular notch. this can now be used to remove a section of the board, to the edges of the tounge and groove on the next board. Now, cut off the upper one of the bit making the groove on the next board, absolutely flush. Now, take a new bit of timber, and cut a matching recess on both sides, so it fits neatly in the slot, with no gaps. (needless to say, before you start, check you can match the colour). Before this, I'd try aggressively sanding the crazed one.

Could you have put it on thicker at the effected area? I've had similar problm with acrylic varnish on a door. If it is you'll find it scrapes off easily then sand wood till clean and varnish with the thinnest coats and it will be unnoticable. Maybe leave longer than 2 hrs tween coats specialy if room is cold.