heat sun resistant varnish?

can anyone recommend a varnish for an oak front door that faces south in the south of France? our door there peels every summer despite trying various varnishes, oil and water based.

what about something like Danish oil? would that be any good?

ta

steve

Reply to
Mr Sandman

Perhaps yacht varnish would do the trick, it is very tough. Made to withstand the worse of weather.

Reply to
Broadback

Knowing nowt about owt, here's my ha'porth.

Is it the top coat of varnish that peels, i.e. the last one you applied? Alternatively are you sure it's not the lower coats that are peeling, and will continue to peel whatever final coat you use. Do you sand back to the wood before you apply fresh varnish?

When our floorboards were being varnished (OK, not the same as oak door in S. France sunshine, but bear with me), it was recommended that we use oil-based Bornseal and dilute the first coat with turps or turps substitute, so that it would soak easily into the wood and harden it, before applying a second coat of neat Bornseal. Now I'm not recommending Bornseal for your door, even if you can get it in an oil-based form these days, although it might be fine, but for the outside of our wooden south-facing conservatory, we were recommended one of the Sadolin range, but I can't remember which one off hand. If you're going to dilute the first coat with turps, you will need an oil-based version.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oak does not really take paint or varnish. You would be far better to use an oil-based product, like Danish oil that would soak into the wood. Have to get all the varnish off first.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

yacht varnish (International is a good make)

Reply to
rick

Some years ago I was looking for yacht vanish and picked up a tin of B&Q own brand to look at. Rather oddly it said, in the very small print on the back, "not for external use"!

Reply to
Peter Parry