toilet limescale removal

Every few weeks I empty the water from the toilet bowl and U-bend, apply some Domestos Zero Limescale, wait a bit, then clean it off along with the accompanying stains, and, job done. Emptying out the bowl is a right pain. What type of acid should I get that, when a cap-full is added, will turn the whole bowl acidic enough to remove / loosen the limescale in about half an hour ? For sake of argument: capful = 20ml, toilet bowl = 2 litres, limescale thickness = 1mm.

And where would I buy it from ?

Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Obviously I mean turn the water content of the bowl acidic, not the bowl itself. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Brick/patio acid::Builders merchant.

But realistically you will alwyas need a similar amount of conc. acid to dissolve a given amount of scale.

What it boils down to is cost and collateral damage to e.g rubber seals

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Brick acid? From your local builders' merchant or shed. Strong stuff, so handle with care. But your local water authority may not be too pleased to have acidic water flushed into their drains and sewage plants. It may attack any cement seals between sections of old clay pipes in the drainage system, if such there be these days. But how would they know it was you?

Alternatively, a bottle of vinegar, left overnight?

I'm surprised you have to actually empty the water from the toilet and U-bend every time. The directions on Domestos zero limescale don't mention that AFAICT.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

How do you empty the bowl?

I find that by using the sort of toilet brush which has a large rubber disc behind the bristles, I can expel most of the water round the bend with a continuous pumping action. I then get the rest out with an old cooking baster (not the one which SWMBO currently uses!) - sucking it up and depositing it into a 2 lb marmalade jar.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Might it be easier all round to buy a water softener?

Reply to
philipuk

I suppose acid just in the bowl should not be touching any rubber seals in the pipes, and when flushed away, it will be diluted. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Wait until one of you relatives helps baste the turkey at Christmas. And remind me not to try any of your marmalade !

I have used a small cup to get rid of most, then a sponge to soak up the rest. And choose a non-windy day to reduce drain smells.

I guess the alternative would be a limescale reducing device somewhere in the supply. But I don't like that holiday showering in soft water thing where you can't rinse the soap off, so maybe just in the cistern feed.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Also sold as Spirits of Salts in proper hardware stores.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you want to go natural, citric acid is likely a better bet.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Why bother emptying the bowl? Just bung the lime scale remover around the bowl, maybe slosh the water about a bit and leave it. either overnight or all day whilst at work. Good brushing and it'll be clear.

BTW check the ingredients on the limescale remover, they are not all created equal, even the "power" ones. A good strong one has around 9g of hydrochloric acid per 100 ml of liquid (Harpic Orginal Power Plus).

1mm of scale in a "few weeks"? Good grief, does your water come out of the tap in lumps?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Because its always half an hour before someone important is coming round, so there's only 30 minutes to do the job ;-)

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Fit a water softener.

Reply to
Capitol

Fernox DS-3 is sulphamic acid. The crystals are easy to handle, but about as acidic as you can get. I wouldn't want hydrochloric hanging round the house

Reply to
stuart noble

Be very careful what you use. I have seen the glaze damaged by strong acids.

Use the Domestos more often & leave it longer. e.g. weekly & overnight.

Reply to
David Lang

Do it last thing at night.

Reply to
David Lang

Or in the morning if you're off to work. I sometimes use bealch and hot water, I've trined limescale remover for kettle and while it works well on kettles doesn;t do much in teh toilet.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Does not seem to work. The big problem is around the bend out of reach where it begins to pong a lot very soon after any cleaning of the bits you can get at. Acid can damage the glaze. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This is what wet and dry vaccuum cleaners were invented for!

Reply to
newshound

A 1kg tub of Fernox DS3 from a plumbers merchant... Chuck a table spoon in and stir it up, leave it for as long as you can. It won't attack the glaze or seals etc.

Reply to
John Rumm