Decanting some varnish

I need to decant a small amount of a thick cellulose varnish from a normal one litre tin into a small bottle to send as a sample.

Any clever ideas on how to do this with the least mess and cleaning of implements, etc?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Syringe or pipette?

Reply to
Andy Burns

use the pipette, burette technique? i.e. a bit of scrap copper pipe pushed into the tin, then thumb over the end and lift? wait for drips to stop ,over bottle and thumbs away!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That sounds an excellent idea, thanks. Never was much good at chemistry, so it didn't occurred to me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Same as honey if similar consistency - spoon and rotate the teaspoon continuously to keep liquid from falling off. Dribble into new pot.

If much thinner than honey, I'd still use the spoon but scrape the varnish off the bottom when moving to between pots.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Roll thin cardboard or thick paper to form a cone-shaped funnel?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Snag would be cleaning the varnish off the teaspoon. Haven't got any cellulose thinners to hand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just throw it away.

Reply to
Huge

Are you suggesting that Daves uses a plastic teaspoon instead of one of his finest silver teaspoons?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Or one of the grotty ones that's been sculling about at the back of the cutlery drawer for decades. Or a 5p one from the charity shop.

Reply to
Huge

The idea was to do it without having to go out and buy anything. And the only spoons I have are decent ones.

The bit of pipe suggested earlier worked a treat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For funnels for paint, it?s easier to use the top end cut off a plastic drinks bottle (not that you would want to use a funnel for this job, especially not plastic).

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

And to be fair, every poster in this group has a piece of copper pipe somewhere in the shed/garage/van:-)

I wonder if plastic pipe cut with a hacksaw would have worked?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Careful - you could flood a house with that !

Reply to
geoff