Using a pushblock when edgejointing?

Do you use a push block when edgejointing a 6"wx20" wide piece? Ever had a problem?

I only use them on small pieces, or when facejointing; but maybe I am not being cautious enough. I don't see how you could get hurt with a 6x20 and a push block would be pretty clumsy, but I would hate to find out I was wrong.

Reply to
toller

I always use a pushblock if my hands are getting anywhere near a cutter.

I do not like some of the commercial pushsticks because I have seen them slip where the work was not properly guided.

I tend to agree that in some circumstances it may be safer to feed the work manually.

I still have every finger I started with.

Reply to
marks542004

pushblock?

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

You get a set of them with most every jointer. You can also buy them from Rockler, Woodcraft, etc. Look them up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I started to try to use them when first edge jointing but they seemed hopelessly clumsy to me. I use them when face jointing but I simply grip the board (being sure to keep my fingers well clear) when I edge joint.

Steve

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Same rule I use with a table saw: if my fingers are going to be inside of 4" from the sharp, spinning parts, I use a push stick with the table saw and push blocks with the jointer.

I'm attached to those ten digits and I'd like them to stay with me.

Over the years, I've seen a lot of people who work within as little as

1" of a saw blade (several patternmakers), and a number more who work within 2". That's their choice. I am not that well coordinated (noram I that arrogant). I know that sooner or later I am sure to slip. They know they won't.
Reply to
Charlie Self

The rule of thumb (sorry) that I use is to do whatever is necessary (and safe) to keep my hands and fingers at least as far away from the sharp spinny things as the length of my fingers. That way, if I inadvertently bend a finger in the wrong direction, that finger can't possibly get too close.

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

always for face jointing; not for edge jointing. IF I edge jointed a narrower than usual piece, then I'd consider a pushblock.

Reply to
David