uses for quartersawn sycamore

I am likely going to get some of it (I have a 24" tree that this guy wants to cut, saw, and share the lumber with me), and I don't have any good ideas for how to use it. What kinds of things have people done with it?

Reply to
donald girod

Here's something I made with QS sycamore a couple years ago:

wouldn't mind getting some of that wood, if you have any to spare. Are you anywhere near Indianapolis?

Doug Miller

Here's something I made for my son's birthday three years ago:

Doug Miller

are you supposed to be typing so soon?

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

aargh! I did it again! I forgot Doug is pouting and refuses to take my calls...

dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

boxes:

luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

I haven't KF-ed you, Dave, and I don't think I ever said that I had.

Depends on who you ask. The recovery-room nurse said to be as inactive as possible, but the surgeon said that whatever didn't hurt was OK. Typing doesn't hurt. The pain medicine makes me a bit drowsy, so I think that going into the shop would probably hurt a *lot* more in the long run...

Doug Miller

His email is out of Buffalo NY. do you consider that close?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Depends on who's doing the driving. :-)

Doug Miller

I like it as an accent wood. The last time I used it was when I was looking for some contrast on a flytying workstation I made:

I've also used it for intarsia. In particular, I had some that looked just perfect as a cobblestone street in a street scene I was doing.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Might make a neat bowl. Cheers. Joe

Reply to
KB8QLR

That would expose a lot of end grain, though, and sycamore end grain does a pretty good imitation of a sponge -- it takes a *lot* of finish to seal it.

Doug Miller

I thought it was commonly used for breadboards, because it is resistant to warping, and in other places where maple was used. I don't think it is as hard as maple though.

Regards, Allen

Reply to
Allen Windhorn

In fact, it isn't even *close* to as hard as maple. Even "soft" maple is a fair amount harder than sycamore. It sure looks nice, though.

Doug Miller

My experience with Sycamore is that it does warp. It is used to fake Walnut with stain. I like it for accent in segment turnings.

Walt Conner

. >>What kinds of things have people done with it?

Reply to
Walt Conner

Sycamore is very warp prone, especially if flatsawn. In fact, the sawyer I use won't bother putting any sycamore in the kiln that isn't quartersawn since it's pretty much guaranteed to turn into a pretzel.

Some things I've done in sycamore:

Blanket chest:

cabinet:
clock:

Scott Post

snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com (Scott Post) wrote in news:uRgmc.37879$Ik.2490690 @attbi_s53:

that's some nice looking wood and work.

Reply to
Casey Stamper

Flatsawn, it warps in nineteen directions. Quartersawn, it's stable.

But it can't be stained to fake walnut, at least not to anyone who knows what walnut looks like. Flatsawn or quartered, the grain of sycamore does not even remotely resemble that of walnut.

Doug Miller