I bought a 113.197601 secondhand (10" Craftsman radial arm saw). I
got it home and it would only work with one of my extension cords. It
worked perfectly for about three days and today I went to finish the
project I am working on and it work fine for a while and now it won't
work with either extension cord. It just kind of hums until it blows
the breaker either on the plug block that I have the cords plugged
into or the breaker at the breaker box on the side of the house if I
bypass the plug block. It only throws the breaker if I leave the saw
on for about 5 seconds. If I turn the saw on and instantly turn it
back off it does not throw the breaker, it just hums. Any idea what is
going on here?
Try plugging directly into wall socket, or get heavier extension cord, it
might not be getting enough juice.
Or rotate blade by hand to different spot and then power up, you may have a
burnt out winding.
I have an extension cord as thick as my arm (well, close) for any tool I
use that pulls double digits in amperage. The thinner the cord, the more
voltage drop you have over the circuit, and the more amps the motor needs to
pull to work. Plugging a 15 amp saw into a household grade extension cord
is a recipe for disaster.
well this may sound stupid but make sure the blade is not touching the
my great uncle offered great granddads craftsman ras to my brother we
drove 41/2 hours one way to go pick it up ran fine had everything so we
loaded up I droped my brother off with his new old toy than drive 11/2
hours home next day get home to find a mesage from him every time he
trys it it blows the breaker so anouther 11/2 hour drive an about 15
trys of my own I realized the tip of the teeth were to deep in the grove
so when we hit the power the blade could not start to spin so it would
blow the breaker so simple such a pain
A MAN WITH THE RIGHT TOOLS CAN SURE SCREW THINGS UP
firstname.lastname@example.org (JAMES Mankin) wrote in message
Jim makes a good point, I was thinking along same lines. Sounds like
the blade/motor may be binding rather than a cord problem. Unless you
are using one of those real skinny 22 awg wire (for lamps only) cords.
If you are using 14 awg or thicker wire and under 10 ft long you
should be fine.
'Locked Rotor' Something mechanical is preventing normal start up. Bad
bearings, Rusted shaft, improper blade installation, just to point out a
few causes. The thermal overload protector should have kept the windings
safe. However Murphy's law is always applicable.
Good grief! How many overheatings can it take?
Have you checked the centrifugal switch? The groan is probably the running
winding waiting for the starting winding to go on.
I've seen oxidized contacts, sawdust clogs, and mechanical problems cause
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.